Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
I am currently still running a couple of Mac Pro 5.1s on High Sierra for my day to day work, and waiting on the M3 Ultra to drop before I make the jump to Apple Silicon.

Noticing more and more that software I want to use is incompatible with High Sierra, and Safari is pretty messed up etc etc.

Was thinking about a used mac mini just to tide me over for now.

However... I'm seriously tempted by Costco Uk's current offer on a 2021 M1 base model iMac. £799 inc keyboard and mouse.

Seems like a real bargain?

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I am also currently running on High Sierra albeit with no current issues.

I’d say it depends on your work/use needs. A base M1 iMac is still a good machine. It should handle near any sort of thing you use it for save heavy video editing or intensive 3D modelling. For everyday administrative/office like tasks including multitasking, a fair number of open tabs and photo editing you should be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I'm using an M1 iMac for a lot of graphic design work about 40 hours a week and it's great. This one has 16 GB RAM, but based on my experience with my base model M1 Air, I would echo the post above. I would imagine it's going to feel a lot zippier than that Mac Pro. And the display is awesome. £799 seems like a great price.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a M1 16GB Mini and a M2 Pro Mini and they seem very similar for what I do which is general office work with some 2D CAD thrown in.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What Mac do you use now?
What applications do you run on it?

My advice:
Think "Mini" rather than "iMac".
If it's within your budget, I'd be looking at the base model m2pro Mini.
(perhaps from the Apple online refurbished store)

Yes, it's more money.
But it will also have much longer... "legs".

ger19

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
It all depends on your use case. I bought the base M1 unit with Ethernet from Costco, on sale for $999 US, a few months ago and I’m very happy with my decision. For the price, it’s hard to go wrong. But, I’m a light user. Mostly web surfing and email type stuff. I keep a couple very simple financial spreadsheets, do a few documents on Word and used Turbo Tax for my taxes. All work great on the M1. My use is so light, I’ve never even heard the fan come on.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I am currently still running a couple of Mac Pro 5.1s on High Sierra for my day to day work, and waiting on the M3 Ultra to drop before I make the jump to Apple Silicon.

Noticing more and more that software I want to use is incompatible with High Sierra, and Safari is pretty messed up etc etc.

Was thinking about a used mac mini just to tide me over for now.

However... I'm seriously tempted by Costco Uk's current offer on a 2021 M1 base model iMac. £799 inc keyboard and mouse.

Seems like a real bargain?
Fwiw, i'm still using High Sierra on one of my Macs very successfully with Firefox. Haven't used Safari for many years, in fact not sure why so many seem to bother with Safari on older machines.
I also agree with the other advise you've been given, Think "Mini" rather than "iMac", especially the base model m2pro Mini. A great machine! Especially with Firefox.......;)

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
So I took Fishrrman's advice and bought the base Mac Mini M2 Pro. Just set it up and installed Sonoma. Is it possible to connect it to my trusty 30" cinema displays?

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
So am I right in thinking the Club 3D CAC-1510 Converter will do the trick?

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
So am I right in thinking the Club 3D CAC-1510 Converter will do the trick?
It has worked with my Mini. Not all the controls are supported--for example, while I can raise/lower the brightness with the monitor's dedicated buttons, I cannot always wake it from sleep with the on/off button. In fact it is a little temperamental on waking in general. I have found that I often need to unplug it and plug it back in again--on the monitor side, not the computer side. That usually works, and while I wish I didn't have to, it's a minor complaint considering the Club 3D allows me to use the 30" display at all. Perhaps you will have a smoother experience with waking.

mitchino

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2015
So far so good, but I have installed Caffeinated so hasn't gone to sleep yet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.