Basic Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwc6160, Nov 30, 2014.

1. jwc6160 macrumors member

A couple of questions regarding the basic iMac models. I am a basic user (browsing, email, etc). I also like to keep them for a long time. I am currently on a 2008. Can someone help me answer a couple of questions?

1) What is the biggest difference between the 1.4 and the 2.7Ghz? I am sure speed is the obvious answer. The other difference is 500 GB hard drive vs 1TB. Are these upgrades worth $200 for a user like me?

2) Should I buy an apple refurb or get one from Bestbuy? Is there are real difference? Are the Best buy models older? I only say this because I do keep them for a while and would probably benefit from buying the latest model?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Speed of the CPU is the obvious difference. However, the vast majority of users never max out their CPU, so paying for a faster CPU may or may not result in noticeable performance improvement in your regular use. As for the drive, you'd notice a much bigger bump in performance by going from a HDD to a SSD. You just have to determine the right balance for you between capacity, speed and cost.
    There is virtually no difference between buying new vs Apple refurbished, except the specs between different models.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The CPU difference is more than just clock speed. The higher end model uses a quad core CPU vs. a dual core in the lower end model. Also the higher end model has a much better graphics accelerator. This site has a pretty good comparison.

Unless you plan to do nothing but very very basic tasks, IMO the low end model is not much of a bargain.

http://www.tekrevue.com/1099-imac-benchmarks/