Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
hi,
iPhone 6S, never been plugged to a computer.
My friend tried to update iOS and something went wrong so the iPhone is now 'bricked' (?) with that iTunes sign which means you have to plug it to a computer to update the version.
Considering she never plugged it to any computer and made no backup, will it earase the iPhone once updated through a computer or will it keep all the data?

Also, if I'm plugging it to my computer that has a different Apple ID signed to it (than the one she entered on the iPhone App Store), will it cause further damage?

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Firstly, I'd try holding down the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears. That may negate the need for an iTunes update.

If that doesn't work she will need to update via iTunes. If she does use your computer she will have to sign in to iTunes with her Apple id and trust the computer.

As long as she chooses to update and not restore her phone will not be erased and all personal info will remain intact.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Firstly, I'd try holding down the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears. That may negate the need for an iTunes update.

If that doesn't work she will need to update via iTunes. If she does use your computer she will have to sign in to iTunes with her Apple id and trust the computer.

As long as she chooses to update and not restore her phone will not be erased and all personal info will remain intact.

iTunes symbol on the device typically means recovery mode, and there is no way to force the device to update. It will unfortunately restore as new.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Israel

Damn..
Even if she just wants to update and not even sync any apps through the computer she'll have to connect her Apple ID to my computer? You can see how it's problematic, I already have my account logged in and authorizes in this computer, also asking for her Apple password is awkward AF

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.