Basic Jailbreaking Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cowbellallen, Feb 6, 2011.

1. cowbellallen macrumors regular

I plan on getting an iPhone this week, and I have to admit I know next to nothing about jailbreaking. I haven't found a resource that has answers to my questions, so I was hoping that you guys might have a few answers from me.

1) As far as Cydia goes, what exactly is it allowing me to do? It basically sounds like its going to let me install apps on my phone that aren't in the official app store, but I don't completely understand it. Their own website doesn't do a good job of explaining it.

2) What is a repository?

3) Does jailbreaking and installing Cydia not affect the core functions of the iPhone, such as placing calls and connecting to the internet? Is it possible to get a virus or something on your iPhone when you jailbreak it?

4) Do Apple or Verizon have any way of detecting that my iPhone has been jailbroken?

5) What safety issues with jailbreaking are there, if any?

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

1) You're right on with Cydia. It's just an alternative app store that allows you to install things that Apple wouldn't approve.

2) A repository is a location where the apps in Cydia are located. Like a shelf inside of a store. You can add repos to get different apps.

3) Jailbreaking itself only changes a little bit of code to give you access to the root folder in the iPhone. It's unlikely that you'll hurt your phone at all as long as you're deliberate in what you install. If you go crazy and install everything in Cydia, your phone will slow to a crawl and you'l have a bad time. An if anything does happen, a restore will bring it back to perfect working order.

4) Only if you bring it to them jailbroken. If you have a problem, just restore it and they won't know the difference.

5) Apps from untrusted repos could be malicious. Just be careful.

3. Norcalchavo macrumors regular

In Cydia besides third party apps you will find themes, tweaks, utilities, customizations, etc. Pretty much allowing you to change, customize, and make your iOS be the way you want it to be.

4. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

Great info, thanks!

How can I tell if a repository is malicious? The more I read about jailbreaking, the cooler I think it is, but for some reason I just feel nervous about it. I can't help but think somehow, someone out there will be able to intercept my personal info.

5. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@cowbellallen, Cydia has some built in filters for malicious repos and it will warn you when you add them, but in general.. like all things jailbreaking, google for something that you're going to install and check out reviews. This is usually a good idea.

6. svenn macrumors 6502

I was afraid to jailbreak and found it extremely difficult to learn about it before attempting. I still don't know much, but somehow I was able to do it once, now I don't think I will ever want to update ios. Cydia is not new-user friendly at all. It's as if they want to keep people out, even though they are selling apps. I couldn't explain what a 'repo' is if my life depended on it. Same with shsh blob, basbands... although I see them written all the time, I have yet to find a concise description anywhere without spending a lot of time reading about it on forums like this.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you want to avoid the malware, stay away from the pirated software--apple store and cydia. People don't seem to understand there's a reason those apps are pirated.

If you search for maturola's dictionary, there's a pretty good collection of jb terms used.

8. aldo818 macrumors regular

1. How can i save all my apps i ve installed from cydia. Or does it have to be done the old way write down the names and then re install them after.

2. Are people having probs installing cydia after the JB and use redsnow to install it or has this bug been fixed.

9. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@aldo818, let me answer your questions the best I can.
    1. There are two aspects to this. You can download (pay) for a software called PkgBackup on Cydia. This saves all your applications to an Address Book contact so that next time you come to a newly jailbroken phone you can restore all your applications. You must have PkgBackup reinstalled to do this (after jailbreak). Second, Cydia has a new feature that tracks all your purchased applications if you are installing everything back from scratch.

Be sure to check MR for any PkgBackup issues. I've seen a few here so some research is recommended.

2. Look for rc5_3 release of Greenp0ison that fixes the Cydia issue.

10. aldo818 macrumors regular

@ neko girl

Thank you very much for your answers.

I think i ll be upgrading then to 4.2.1 from 4.1 and hope it will be as stable as 4.1 was fror me

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As far as malicious repos go - the ones Cydia will connect to by defualt are all (pretty much) safe.