Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I know really nothing about jailbreaking an iphone except that you can then run 3rd party apps on it not authorized by apple. I just have a couple questions which may seem basic:

1) Once you jailbreak your iphone, can you still run all your authorized apps?

2) Will it still sync back with itunes normally?

3) Will jailbreaking affect your ATT service in anyway?

4) Once jailbroken, can you un-jailbreak it back to the original iphone software?

chappy87

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Southampton, UK
Hey, as someone who has very recently Jailbroken their iPhone 3G I can say that;
1. Absolutely, all my original apps work fine, as do the ones I've bought since jailbreaking;
2. The phone syncs completely with iTunes, no problems whatsoever.
3. I'm on O2 in the UK, but everything seems to be completely normal in terms of my service.
4. Haven't had a need to attempt this, but as far as I understand, a factory restore will completely remove any trace of a jailbreak.

AWD iPhone

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
1) Once you jailbreak your iphone, can you still run all your authorized apps?
Yes, yes indeed !
2) Will it still sync back with itunes normally?
You bet it will ! I have 3GS blackra1n break/redsn0w and it syncs every time. In fact, there are several 3rd party aps that will sync your 3rd party apps on itunes too !
3) Will jailbreaking affect your ATT service in anyway?
nope, however sometime there are 3rd parties that aren't totally refined and have flaws and those flaws can effect your service sometimes, but its usually an easy fix.
4) Once jailbroken, can you un-jailbreak it back to the original iphone software?

Yes, this is pretty easy to do also. I have done this TWICE and both times its extremely easy. I just do a restore and then load the last backup :D

Hope this helps guy. Its a LOT easier than you think to jailbreak than you think. My little sister did it to her iTouch, shes 8 :D

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated!

Knowing that I can keep all my authorized apps, add new unauthorized apps, and still be able to sync with itunes and not have issues with my phone service make me really want to jailbreak. Also, I'm glad that if it goes wrong in some way or I don't like it, I can easily restore my iphone back to the original software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.