basic laptop buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brendu, Dec 8, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

okay so my roommate is looking to get a new laptop. Obviously I am suggesting she get the macbook but at $999 that is really going to stretch her budget. She is only going to use the machine for web browsing, facebook, iTunes, and perhaps some hulu, and occasional office usage.

no need to explain to me the benefits of mac over pc because I already know and agree, all my machines are macs.. but cost is a serious issue for her so im considering all options. I have used windows 7 and im sure it will suit her needs fine. and viruses should not be a problem since she does not download anything, and I can keep her system running smoothly.

im looking at 2 windows options and wanted your opinions on them. The first is an IBM and the second is a HP. the links are below. please let me know which is better, or if there is any reason not to consider either of them as an option. (the idea is that this machine will last 4-5 years).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+...lack/9569497.p?id=1218126040764&skuId=9569497

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...lack/9556287.p?id=1218123846583&skuId=9556287

EDIT: forgot to mention, refurbs are an option but she has expressed that she would rather be able to just go to the store and pick up a computer, not buy online and wait. Unless one of the $750 macbooks shows up in refurb I doubt ill be able to change her mind.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

...sounds like the rare case fit for a netbook =\

Maybe an Asus Eeepc?

4. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Centrino sucks. But Thinkpads are built well.

If she's going to do any kind of video editing, batch processing, multiple tasks, etc., get the Core 2 Duo, or find a Thinkpad that has Centrino Duo or Core 2 Duo.

I've used both, and if you're any kind of a power user, single core is a dog.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

@Velin

"web browsing, facebook, iTunes, and perhaps some hulu, and occasional office usage" <sounds like she's ready to start a whole room of rack servers...

But seriously, this is basic stuff, the kind of needs the netbook was always intended for, people that don't need a COMPUTER but a way to the internet.

I say aim for something with a decent screen, then a dual-core processor and large hard drive (250gb) for the sake of longevity.

6. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Of the OP's choices, I would get the Lenovo. It's thinner, lighter, and has a higher pixel pitch (i.e. the screen will look sharper, and most likely "better" if you ask 100 people).

Also, Lenovo had fewer defects according to http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

side note: I love how best buy calls anything under 5.5lbs "ultraportable" and anything over 5.5lbs "standard" :rolleyes:

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Dude., they're BOTH Core 2's... *facepalm*

8. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah im not sure a netbook is really the answer. she wants something with a larger display than that, she will want something with an optical drive probably , and i forgot to mention that shes got an iPod that she wants to transfer her music to, and iTunes keeps getting bigger and more resource hungry, im not sure a netbook has it what its gonna take in the long run, (thinking ram here)...

in regards to the aluminum macbook refurb. Its something to consider, but like I said im thinking shes going to want to just go buy it somewhere locally and have it once shes ready to buy.

right now im leaning towards that HP for her but perhaps she will have the $$ for a macbook...

9. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Well Centrino is single core. Centrino Duo is two cores. Bad ad copy, does look like both are two cores.

Get the Lenovo.