Basic Logic Pro X Question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by fastlanephil, Dec 1, 2014.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I'm starting to learn Logic Pro X after using another DAW for 12 years and I have a question about using my third party libraies.

So I've selected muti-timbal like 8 parts and Iv'e loaded Kontakt 5 and some instruments into Kontakt and then record them on some tracks. No problem.

But if I want to mute or solo one of tracks with the channel strip mute or solo button all the tracks mute or solo. I don't see a way to just solo or mute one of the tracks besides doing it in Kontakt itself.

I posted this question in the Apple Logic Pro forum but no response. I noticed very few questions get answered on that forum.

???

2. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Have you tried routing each part into its own separate channel?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think if you create a track in Logic X then run Kontakt in that track then the logic track is from Logic's point of view one track. Kontakt sees it differently.

One solution is to create multiple Logic X tracks and run one copy of Kontakt in in each Logic track.

4. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I guess Logic Pro isn't very logical when working with third party multi-timbal instrument hosts. Loading a new instance of Kontakt for each instrument is one solution but not if you're working with large track and instrument counts. Then you'll need to use the solo/mute in Kontakt or other muti-timbal instrument hosts.

It's a little disappointing for such highly rated DAW software.

5. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I found an article that explains Apple vs Multi-Timbral instruments.

It appears to be Apple just being Apple. Like when they eliminated the floppy drive in the late nineties, replacing it with something called USB that had everyone scratching their heads and going 64-bit only for plugins. They like pushing the envelope even if it causes a little pain.

So Apple’s view is that multi-timbral instrument hosts like Kontakt and the plugins are a hold over from the sound module days and then multi-timbral which was a solution for underpowered computers. But now computers are becoming much more powerful so this sixteen slot host solution standard isn’t going to be needed. I’m sure that Native Instruments isn’t too pleased by this but there are always casualties that come with change.

More head scratching but after working with Logic Pro X a little I think I’m starting to understand where they are coming from. One of Apple’s core strategies has always been taking something complicated and simplifying it for a better user experience.

Here’s the article.

http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/the-multi-timbral-workflow-conundrum-in-logic-pro-x