Basic, low cost remote desktop program??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LoneRider, Apr 7, 2012.

1. LoneRider macrumors member

I am planning to use a Mac Mini and Evocam with network cameras for home security. My main computer is MBP, hence using the Mini to run 24/7 to handle the Evocam and recording of the cameras.

I would like to just tuck the Mini out of the way, but I will need to occasionally make changes and such so I am looking for a basic Remote Desktop program that will allow me to get in and make changes without having to hook up a monitor, keyboard, etc.

Any ideas? I found "Splashtop Remote Desktop" in the app store and at only $7 it seems like a good deal, but I don't want to start spending $7 here, $10 there over and over until I find the right solution. That could add up quick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Screen Sharing can help. It is built into Mac OS X since Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (2007) and can help you what you want to do. It works for me between my Macs.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are plenty of decent VNC clients out there, try Chicken of the VNC.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the Macs are on the same network, Screen Sharing is quite effective. If you need remote access over the internet, I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

5. LoneRider thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. The built in "Screen Sharing" does the trick.

A built in feature I didn't even know existed, perfect solution.

Thanks!