Basic MacBook Pro 13'' for coding on Dreamweaver and for Photoshop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by screamieri, Oct 29, 2012.

1. screamieri macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

First of all I am new here so I hope I'm not breaking any rule or anything :). I case I am I apologize and will make up for it!

I'm very interested in buying a MacBook Pro for personal and job purposes. Unfortunately as you all know, it's not so cheap money wise, so I would like to ask for your help.

I've always had a Windows PC and I need a MacBook for coding on Dreamweaver and to use Photoshop and other tools for web developing. It would be for work, so I'd use it quite often (if all goes well).

I was thinking about buying the MacBook Pro 13'' (non-Retina) base model, but I was afraid it might not be able to run those kind of programs. Do you think i should definitely buy the more powerful 13'' model or that one will do fine?

Thanks in advance

2. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

That kind of stuff runs on half the performance the 13" MBP offers. I used one from 2010 and was completely fine. You should also consider buying the MacBook Air, as it has an SSD and a higher resolution (1440 vs 1280).

3. Melons macrumors member

The problem with cMBP is the resolution, i couldnt stand my 2009 MBP anymore just because of that. If i wouldnt buy the rMBP today i would definitely go for the air with higher resolution.

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Be sure to select a model with 8GB RAM. A model with a SSD will boost PS's performance as well.

5. screamieri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, you were quite clear. At this point i think I'll be able to use the basic cMBP, mostly since I don't need to use Photoshop heavily. At this point though I'm leaning more on the 2.9GHz model, seeing as it has 8GB RAM.

Getting an SSD model would be too expensive for me unfortunately, and I guess i prefer the MBP to the Air right now :).

Aside from the main topic, do you think a cMBP is a good choice for coding and web developing?

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Unless you need the portability, I would rather have an iMac for the same money.

7. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

+1

8. baummer macrumors 6502a

I'm in a similar situation. I'm in charge of my firm's website, and I need something for portability - remote desktop just isn't cutting it anymore. I initially thought the MBA, but have decided on the cMBP because, beyond the resolution issue, I think you get more bang for the buck with the cMBP. And since I plan on using an external display most of the time, I doubt the resolution difference will bother me. The MBA or the cMBP will definitely fit the bill for web development work (might even be borderline overkill depending on the technology stack you use), but if you don't need portability, you really should be looking at iMacs. Also, I've been seeing a lot of people picking up Mac mini servers to run their various development environments (VM's) on - but that might be overkill for your needs.

9. markus843 macrumors regular

You could always upgrade the macbook after, just pop off the lid at the bottom, and you can replace the ram (up to 16gb) and pop in a solid state drive