Basic macbook uni-body or Hp dv3z?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RareEarthMetal, Apr 23, 2009.

1. RareEarthMetal macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

Here is the deal. I like Hp computers but when my last laptop broke 5 months ago, Spent lots of time searching on the best computer out there. I came to the conclusion that I do not want a Vista machine, I want a macbook.

My dilemma is this: wait for the back-to-school promotion or get a cheaper customized hp computer and an ipod touch.

I want to have clue as to when apple's back to school sale is this year. I know last year it was june 3. I hope its roughly the same time frame.

I want to know if hp's dv3z with the following:
    # • AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-86 (2.4 GHz)
    # • FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    # • FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    # • ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics with 64MB Display Cache Memory
    # • 13.3" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    # • Slot Load Super Multi 8X DVD+/-R/RW w/Double Layer Support
    # • Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    # • Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
    for 840$ + ipod touch=1069$

or the basic macbook with :2.0GHz

* Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB DDR3 Memory
    * 160GB hard drive1
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    * Standard keyboard
    * Aluminum unibody
    plus the ipod touch in june for roughly 1550 w/o rebate.

Please help, it torments me every night before I go to bed.

2. apull macrumors member

...so get a macbook.

you're probably looking at that serious price difference tho. does apple do the ipod deal with the mac mini? (maybe $100 off?) how much does price matter to you?

if you like getting the most for your money (and have the $1400 to burn), buy your hp lappy, and wait to get your ipod touch with the mac mini during back-to-school.

if you want to stay as cheap as possible, buy the hp, then wait for august and get the new ipod touch that has better functionality. you still save money.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't want Vista, then it's shouldn't be so hard to make a choice here.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'd go with a apple refurb to save money

HP + AMD = FAIL

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Vista is just a PITA interface to use... I had the $$ ready to buy a Lenovo X200 but they were all sold out of the winXP Pro models so instead of getting the Vista model I got a netbook for portability (winXP home) and its doing the job until I decide to get an :apple: laptop...(yes, I have used Vista for the last 16 months on a ~daily basis - which is the reason I still don't like it)...

6. zunairryk macrumors regular

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're going to wait that long for the macbook, you should also start considering that the OEM's will start offering free Windows 7 upgrades sometime around there, so if you're trying to avoid Vista, you should consider Windows 7 as well.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I guess you came to your conclusion without our help!:D

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...refurb whitebook...

11. RareEarthMetal thread starter macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

Even though I don't want a vista machine, the price difference is also an incentive for a vista. This is why it is such a tough choice.

One thing Im worried is about overheating, I have been hearing complaints on overheating macbooks. Is that true?

12. maplestar macrumors member

Solution?

It's interesting that you're asking this question in a Mac priority forum. However, I have some conclusions based on your data.

Assuming you have about 1500 dollars (based on your information) here are your options:

1) Only HP. Personally, I like OSX better than Vista. HOWEVER, unlike people here say, for a normal person running photoshop - > basic documenting, Vista does work. So if you're looking for the cheapest solution, just get the HP.

For the iTouch, you can get the current one, or, as one poster said, get an upgraded one in November.

2) Only Macbook. This method is the way to go if you prefer OSX much more than Vista. The Notebooks probably will differ a bit in power as well. The extra money you are paying is for the Apple unibody structure, OSX, and a stronger laptop overall (you can install XP/Vista/Windows 7 later).

For the iTouch, go for the student's sale for money safety. Go for updated versions for more features.

3) HP + Mini/iTouch. This method was quite interesting. You can get the HP computer now, then the Mini/iTouch combination. (Or the Mini, then the iTouch in November for the more features). This way, you'll be getting OSX as well as an laptop. The total cost is about $1400 too! (Less than just a macbook).

I don't see any other options. You can choose one of these depending on your needs. (HP for cost, Macbook for power, and HP/Mini for best of both worlds...but less power than the Macbook imo).

Up to you to choose.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...any notebook requires a good cooler while plugged in to extend its life...

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You don't want Vista!? I LOVE Vista! Its the reason I own a mac! :D

Get the macbook. People will try and tell you the macbook is underspecced but IMO OSX utilizes hardware much much more efficiently and doesn't require as much as Vista. (I could be wrong I didn't test this just an observation I made with two similar speced machines).

Oh, and as for the overheating macbooks. Not true. Nature of the internet rumor. One person feels heat and thinks its overheating when its natural for laptops to get hot underneath. They post this, and suddenly 3048923084092 "experts" say that its a problem and they hate apple now and apple quality control sucks blah blah. I've had my macbook pro on my bed (on a soft fluffy blanket mind you!) for hours and nothing happened and thats a horrible place for a laptop. Macs feel warmer on the bottom cause they're aluminum. They're also dissipating heat better.

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You can get cheaper PCs than macs. I however believe that the price difference is worth it, and that they are better value for money than PCs. Now there will be loads of people who disagree with me, so it's really just personal preference. I can honestly say though that the only money that I regret spending on this mac, was the legal copy of Vista Ultimate that I bought to make sure that if I hadn't liked OSX I'd still have a computer that I can use. In the end it turned out to be unnecessary, and at most I should have just bought a copy of XP.

16. RareEarthMetal thread starter macrumors member

RareEarthMetal

Thanks guys, you've been helpful. maplestar in particular. I think i've been swayed to just get the basic macbook. I hope I don't run into problems with growing accustomed to mac OSX and that it gives me no problems in general.

Is there any useful information I can get from anyone about Macs, like what their forte is or why they are easier to get to know than a pc?

17. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

youll love your mac and the community that comes with it.

18. brianr19 macrumors member

I am a new mac user and just got the new whitebook. It can get hot when doing serious computing such as watching flash videos or playing crysis lol. But if you don't need portability, like if u just use ur macbook around the house, i dont think you want a macbook. I would get the mac mini instead. The screen is small and glossy if not for me. But it is definately useable. They arent hard to use but i find OSX doesnt give you as much control over your file system as windows. Also you will find there isnt as much software to run on a mac as windows. If you absolutely think need a mac just get a mac mini if you already have a external display and hook up via DVI. Don't forget you can get a PC with much better specs for a cheaper price.

19. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Maybe you both are not cool enough to own a mac!

:D

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can wait, hold out til summer for the back to school special. I don't know if it will be precisely june 2nd, but apple always uses this to clear out back stock before it introduces new models in the fall for the holiday shopping season.

If not, go on the refurb site on the apple store and buy a refurbished macbook and ipod. Craigslist may be a possibility if you live in or near a large urban area.