Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I've just set up a new iMac and a MacBook Air, and I'm trying to network them over my wifi network so that I can readily exchange files directly between the devices or via Free File Sync. I do not have an Airport Express. My router is an Asus RT-AC68U. Both computers report being on my 5GHz band. So how do I get them connected? Thanks.

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, CoastalOR. I see one of the steps in the link is "Select a user from Network Users or Network Groups, which includes everyone on your network." How do I add the MacBook Air to Network Users or Network Groups? I'm the only one listed.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've never tried to use "FreeFileSync". You're wanting to sync certain folders between your two Macs? I'm not saying it isn't possible with FFS but I don't really see that in the online manual.

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I've never tried to use "FreeFileSync". You're wanting to sync certain folders between your two Macs? I'm not saying it isn't possible with FFS but I don't really see that in the online manual.
Then how should I connect them? Both computers seem to be using my ASUS_5G network just fine--except they don't seem to see each other.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
OP: Sorry, I missed the part about you wanting to use "FreeFileSync". I am unfamiliar with that app, so I can't help. They do have a online manual. I was not impressed with the instructions, but I guess it is free if you do not donate. I am not sure how reliable it would be. Good luck. :)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Then how should I connect them? Both computers seem to be using my ASUS_5G network just fine--except they don't seem to see each other.

What is it that you really need? I have File Sharing on my two Macs and I'm able to access all the files from each that I need. I can also share and control screens back and forth.

There must be several scenarios where actual syncing would be necessary and that's why they use one of the many cloud services available.

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thanks, all. I figured this out. The problem was that, first, I am new to the Mac environment, and second, I was entering the wrong "connect As" name under "Shared."

The problem now, though, is that after shutting down, I lose the connection to my MacBook Air and have to re-enter all the information again. Is that normal, or did I miss a setting that causes both my iMac and MacBook Air to remember their connection settings? Thanks again.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Thanks, all. I figured this out. The problem was that, first, I am new to the Mac environment, and second, I was entering the wrong "connect As" name under "Shared."

The problem now, though, is that after shutting down, I lose the connection to my MacBook Air and have to re-enter all the information again. Is that normal, or did I miss a setting that causes both my iMac and MacBook Air to remember their connection settings? Thanks again.

A normal situation.

STEP 1. In the Connect to Server field, where you enter the credentials, check the box: Remember this password in my keychain

That takes care of not entering info every time.

STEP 2. Next, you can also have the share mount every time automatically. A couple ways to do this, i ncluding adding the shared volume in the Log Options list in the user account (in System Preferences).

What I prefer is simply a shortcut (alias) to the shared volume in the dock or Finder sidebar.

I prefer it because if you setup automatic mounting....it will try to mount every time you log in. If you are off your network, if the other Mac is not visible (turned off, etc.) you will get an error every time it try and fails.

I would rather click on the shortcut and have it mount in 2-3 seconds when I want it, rather than nag me every time it fails.

Also easy: Browse the network, select the Mac (has to be running, and on the network). It should be a single click to connect once you check the box per step 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: gogreen1

gogreen1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Thank you, hobowankenobi. On both devices I've checked "Remember this password in my keychain."

What I prefer is simply a shortcut (alias) to the shared volume in the dock or Finder sidebar.

I'd like to do as you prefer. When I bring up the Finder sidebar, both shared volumes appear in their respective "Shared" listings. Do you mean to create an alias from these listings, or are the devices listed under "Shared" enough?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.