Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainpoliboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Ok, so me and two friends started a consulting company. We all have macs (2 macbooks, 1 iBook and 1 iMac) and all work out of different locations, usually campaign offices, and are never at the same location. We were looking to set up the iMac at my friend's apartment, and use it as a server that we can all access. We don't have a lot of money, but would like to have a central storage unit, so that we can share files and what not, but still have it remotely accessable, and yes for as little money as possible. I know these macs are powerful, so i'm hoping that there is someway for cheap. Any thoughts would be welcome.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
One way..

Get a fixed IP address for the internet connection at the server location.
Set up the router so that requests for port 22 pass through to the iMac
enable Remote Access in System Preferences > Sharing on the iMac
Use Cyberduck or similar to connect to the iMac via SFTP

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
getdropbox.com

PHENOMENAL way to share. Sync's between any number of machines, even Windows.
2GB free, 50GB only 99 a year. 2GB isn't much if you're thinking of doing multimedia, and for 99 a year you can have iDisk, but dropbox is so darned easy. No dragging/dropping at all. Put a file in the local folder, shows up on the web site AND the other computers.
Check out the tour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.