Basic on mac gaming

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wil4rdus, Apr 5, 2008.

1. wil4rdus macrumors newbie

hi there, im new to mac.. i was exposed on microsoft windows ever since.. i have this problem.. i don't know how to execute an *.exe file.. like in warcraft game.. how can I execute the game?if there's a program needed for this, what is it?and where can I get one? a lot of my programs won't run because its microsoft windows based

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Umm.
    So let me get this straight.
    Youre trying to run windows programs (exe's) in the Mac OS X environment?

You cant.
    The only options are either setting up Bootcamp and running a recent version of Windows, or buying the Parallel/VMWare software and visualizing Windows.

3. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

..or install the mac-version of warcraft. Blizzard makes all their games for mac and win

4. Brandnew2mac macrumors newbie

Recommended Games?

Hey there.
    Looking for a little advice on buying a game or two for my recently purchased Macbook. I have the Macbook (Black) with 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM and a GMA X3100 Graphics card.

I'm an RTS fan but have been told C&C3 wouldn't run on it so can anyone recommend anything?

Cheers in advance for assistance anyone can offer...:)

5. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

well, are you going to use it for mac only games or are you going to add windows xp (or maybe even vista) also using bootcamp or another program? if you're adding xp or vista there is gears of war, call of duty 4, halo, halo 2, any tom clancy game of course. Just browse the best buy website, amazon or any other place that sells video games or go in person and look for yourself then make your final decision. Reading reviews helps but it's not always something you will always agree with.

6. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

I'd recommend you buying Cross Over Games from codeweavers and installing Steam. From steam you gain access to HalfLife 2, Team Fortress 2 (this is great) and lots of other games. Dawn of War is a rts-classic that's great as well.

Otherwise, you can always try WoW, that's mac native :)

7. Brandnew2mac macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I've upgraded my PC to a really decent level for gaming before buying my macbook but never done anything at all on that side of things with macs.
    Was looking for something that I could run without having to mod/upgrade in anyway?

Again, Cheers in advance for the help..:)