Basic photo editor for macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbluth, Jan 21, 2009.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Hello, Im a recent mac convert and Im looking for the basic program that allows you to edit images, draw shapes. Basically the equivalent to MSPaint. Im not a editor and I only require it once in a while so I have no desire to get a full blown photo editor like photoshop. I would assume macs ship with something like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. singhy44 macrumors member

Well, I'm not sure there is anything like this that comes with the Mac. A while ago, when AppleWorks was still around, there was a painting/drawing application, but AppleWorks has since been phased out. The best option I can think of is DrawIt, the Lite version of which is free, and should do what you need. For editing photos, however, iPhoto is the simplest option, although it doesn't do drawing. If you wanted, you could give Photoshop Elements a go, and this will do some more advanced features.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I second paintbrush, I use it for basic needs, along with preview.

I use paintbrush to:
    -black stuff out
    -draw a quick circle around things with a mouse
    -add text inefficiently (you'll see when you use the program)
    -draw little cheap pictures

That's about it. I may also open it in preview.app to crop it by selecting something and hitting command+k, then command+s

for an image viewer, I use a program called "just looking" which I love.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I third paintbrush. (can you third things?)

It really is MS Paint for OSX.

Unless you are looking for things like Red-Eye reduction and the sort. If that is the case, iPhoto will do that. Just open up the photo and there will be an edit box on the bottom left.

+3 for paintbrush though. Awesome App.

5. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Try "Color It".... I have photoshop but amways seem to revert back to C.it because photoshop can get really complicated. another simple one in "Grafic converter"
    I have an old version of C.it that runs on Classic but I assume there's an OSX version out there, although you might have to buy it.