Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I already have a 2011 MacBook Air but I am looking at either :

1. Getting a new faster Mac with a GbLAN port (probably a MacBook Pro)
or
2. Getting a Mac Mini and running OSX Server on it (accessing from the existing MBA)

The MBA that I have is plenty fast enough for everyday use but some file transfer tasks (from NAS_1 to NAS_2) are really slow when I'm copying 40GB video files from one to the other. Can I run the file transfer process on the Mac Mini Server without the files having to go to/from the MBA during the process. i.e just initiate/control the file transfer with the MBA ?

So the data path I'm looking for is NAS_1>Mac Mini>NAS_2 and not NAS_1>Mac Mini>MBA>Mac Mini>NAS_2.

All this will be done on the local in-house network (not over the internet)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes, you don't need server, unless you want the faster processor and space for 2 drives.

You can just share the mac mini screen on MBA, and then do things as if you are on the mini.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Thanks. Yes, I've been doing some more research and I can use some form of Remote Desktop to control the Mini (or anything else) from the MBA. Then I can run any app I chose (even Bootcamp ones) on the Mini.

As I don't have any experience yet of any of this, can I do all this 100% remotely ? i.e. have the Mini in the attic (turned off) and be using the MBA in another room ? So I'll want to do : Wake On LAN, start, run app, switch Mini off ?

rutledjw

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks. Yes, I've been doing some more research and I can use some form of Remote Desktop to control the Mini (or anything else) from the MBA. Then I can run any app I chose (even Bootcamp ones) on the Mini.

As I don't have any experience yet of any of this, can I do all this 100% remotely ? i.e. have the Mini in the attic (turned off) and be using the MBA in another room ? So I'll want to do : Wake On LAN, start, run app, switch Mini off ?

If you google wake on LAN, some folks have had some trouble with Lion. I assume they're using a MacBook and closed the device where WOL doesn't seem to work. I'd do a little googling there, it seems there has been some headache around low-power-wake. I'd look at this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1195152/

To remotely shut it down (sleep is what I assume you mean), there are a number of methods including SSH and various apple script methods. You can google it or look here for an example.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/03/14/remotely-sleep-mac/

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Consider...

Cheers, I'll have a go at these.
I do exactly what you are describing all the time. The best tool I've found to have to control my MacMini Server is Remote Desktop. You can purchase it from the App store. It allows you to control the system like you were sitting in front of it, and you can drag and drop to/from it. Management is SO simple with Remote Desktop.

Be careful though, once you have a server, you might get the "server bug." Every time I turn around I'm adding one more server function to it. I use it as a teamspeak server, an email server, media server, VPN server (I can VPN home and watch my movies), open Directory controller, domain controller, DNS, Squid server... I just keep adding one more thing... I'm in the process of setting up 802.1x, and may add an asterisk server after that. I have a static IP so it works well, but you can achieve the same thing with a dynamic IP and a service like DynDNS.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Just have your Mini run 100% of the time. I use a dual PowerMac G4 for the same purposes.

Don't turn it off. You can have it sleep IF set to static IP.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I do exactly what you are describing all the time. The best tool I've found to have to control my MacMini Server is Remote Desktop. You can purchase it from the App store. It allows you to control the system like you were sitting in front of it, and you can drag and drop to/from it. Management is SO simple with Remote Desktop.

Be careful though, once you have a server, you might get the "server bug." Every time I turn around I'm adding one more server function to it. I use it as a teamspeak server, an email server, media server, VPN server (I can VPN home and watch my movies), open Directory controller, domain controller, DNS, Squid server... I just keep adding one more thing... I'm in the process of setting up 802.1x, and may add an asterisk server after that. I have a static IP so it works well, but you can achieve the same thing with a dynamic IP and a service like DynDNS.

Cheers. Yes, I might just do that. To start with I just want a sort of "compute" server to complement the convenient-but-underpowered MBA plus some of the programmes I need to run will only run in Win7. So it will be operating Parallels as well.

Will this conflict with any opportunity to run OSX server on it ?

----------

Just have your Mini run 100% of the time. I use a dual PowerMac G4 for the same purposes.

Don't turn it off. You can have it sleep IF set to static IP.

I agree. The power drain will be minimal and I can set a static IP with an Airport Extreme that I have.

Will the Mini respond to LAN commands if it is sleeping ? If it's going to be in the attic I have to operate it remotely.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.