Basic projection mapping?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stefanwa, Apr 12, 2013.

1. stefanwa macrumors newbie

Hi!

Maybe one of you could help me out in setting up a basic video projection with my MacBook and an older LCD 720 16:9 projector...

I want to make a video projection of moving clouds in the illustrated shape of a cloud. Just on a plain white wall. I don't want the square 16:9 light be seen around my "video object". I have made some quick images to demonstrate what I want to do...

[​IMG]
    This is how it should look. The wall is grey in this example.

It should not look like this:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

I hope I made it clear. Maybe I'm just not getting it, but do I need some projection mapping software for this? If I need it, what would be a simple solution (preferable free)?

Thanks for suggestions!
    Steve

2. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

VPT is the only free projection mapping software I know of for OSX. VVVV is also free, but PC only. I use MadMapper, but that is paid software. You can also write your own masks/deforms in Processing, which is a free programming language.

This is a really simple mask. You may want to try types of optical masking first if you really want to shut the projector down in the non-image areas... try a cardboard mask or taping off the lens. Even with projection mapping software, you will get light bleed on your non-image areas.

3. stefanwa thread starter macrumors newbie