basic quesion for iCloud photos on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by quigleybc, Apr 23, 2015.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hi,

i did a search for this, but was unsuccessful.

Simple question (i think)

I have 180 gigs of photos in my Mac. I bought the extra iCloud space for 200 gigs.

Photos is 'slowly' uploading all my photos, and i have about 60 gigs uploaded at this point...

I can see my synced library when i go iCloud.com on my PC at work. So that's great!

But, i can't see any of these photos in my iPhone, iPad. etc..

I've updated all my devices, and turned 'icloud photo' "on". but, still nothing is visible on my iPhone but the locally stored pics.

the phone does say that is was 'preparing' thousands of pics, and it did that..but still nothing.

I'm really not getting this

any help is appreciated

:)

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

It took me overnight just to do 500. And in the morning it looked liked it hadn't finished. But, then they all just appeared on my iPhone. Yours may take many days. I think there is a daily limit of some kind.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I think I had around 20 GB worth to upload, or something like that. I know I was right at the edge of the 20 GB plan and had to upgrade.

It took me several days to get them uploaded. Part of it is upload speeds from my ISP. The other part is I noticed my MBP was going to sleep while I went to work. I turned on Caffeine and let it sit. After a couple of days everything was synced.

Be patient, it'll happen.

4. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

thanks for the replies

so, i just need more photos to upload i guess? it's weird that it is working on safari->iCloud.com on my PC's but not on iOS devices

guess i'll just have to wait like you said

;)

5. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

That's how I mine went. Just quicker than yours is going to go. Sorry.

6. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

as an update if anyone cares

i got it working, but first i had to wipe my phone so there was enough space.

i have a huge library, and that's the problem. When you turn on Photos in iCloud it's going to first 'prepare' all the files and then download small thumbnails of all your photos. Also it wants you to be on wifi.

I have about 36,000 photos and so far it's eaten up about 2.6 gigs of space for all these thumbnails (on my iPhone). And that sucks, as i want cloud access so i don't have to deal with locally stored pics...but, anyway. It's working and i guess 2.6 gigs isn't too much to ask for a 180 gig library.

:eek:

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc