Basic Question about Networking

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DrDoug, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DrDoug macrumors member

May 15, 2010
    Hi there.

My question is..

Is it possible to have a wireless network and a wired LAN connection simultaneously, each being on a different network?

I would like my iMac to connect wirelessly to the ADSL modem and also have a wired ethernet connection to a blueray media player, so that I can access the library on my iMac.

The media player can not connect wirelessly and the physical location of everything else means that I can not have them all on the same ethernet connection...

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

Dec 5, 2009
    In theory it should work. Why don't you just try it. Connect Ethernet and try accessing W-Lan. I know atleast on windows it is possible to connect to two different Ethernet LAN networks at the same time. There is no reason why it shouldn't work.
    I don't know what happens if you have two Gateways set. I would avoid it but with your setup there is no gateway for Ethernet anyway.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Wrong question. Connect your modem to a wireless router with LAN ports. Connect your iMac wirelessly to the router. Connect the Blu-ray player to the router via Ethernet.

However, I am not aware of a Blu-ray player that acts as a media server. It may access content and download firmware updates from the Internet. Most of the Internet content that you access via your Blu-ray player can be accessed directly through your computer.

Blu-ray players transmit content to TV sets, preferably via a HDMI cable. They do not transmit content via Ethernet.
  4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Your advise is correct however I think he wants his BD player to access media from his iMac (DLNA I assume).
  5. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2007
    Finer stores everywhere.
    I'm still a little hazy on exactly what you need, but it sounds like getting a second router to act as a wireless bridge might do what you need.

If the problem is that your modem and router are too far from your Blu-Ray player to let you easily run a cable between them, just get the second router, set it up to extend your original wireless network, then put it right beside your Blu-Ray player.
  6. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Many ways to skin this cat, but we need more info.

Does the ADSL/modem router have wired Ethernet ports?
    How far from the ADSL modem/router to the iMac? Blu-Ray?
    How far from the iMac to the Blu-Ray?
    Is there a reason you want these two networks to be separate? Typically the Blu-Ray player would like to be able to connect to the Internet for updates/BD-Live...

You can use an 802.11n Airport Express ($79 from the Apple refurb store) as a client on your wireless network to connect the BDP to your network via it's wired Ethernet port.

7. DrDoug thread starter macrumors member

May 15, 2010
    OK.. here it is then
    It does indeed, but they are in the lounge (ground floor)
    Modem / Wireless Router in the lounge. Ground floor
    iMac in the Office. 1st Floor
    Blueray player in the bedroom. 2nd floor.

different floors. lots of stairs.
    Nope. I would be happy to have them on the same network if that is easier.
    Seems like connecting the BR player to a wireless router and then connecting into the wireless network would be the way forward then...
    I do have a spare Netgear router lying around... will try to figure out how that works and get it hooked up to the network...
  8. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Not all routers can be put in client/bridge mode, including the 802.11g model of the Airport Express. The 802.11n version and the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule all work in this situation, but there are occasional problems depending on what device is creating your network in the first place.