Basic question about video resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by filo8818, Mar 23, 2013.

1. filo8818 macrumors newbie

hello everybody, is a while that i search on internet the right answer but i can t find it out.

If i download a video in 1080p (or i put a blu-ray in my mac) the screen actually support this format?? so is it HD ready???

and if a play this video on an ATV 2 it automatically resize it at 720 cause is the highest format supported??

and the same video played on my PC (geforce 8400 gt) that use as monitor a hd led tv is actually supporting this format??

thanks in advance for the answer..

2. MacKid macrumors 6502

If you're using a "classic" MacBook Pro, the screen cannot display 1080p resolution.

If you're using a "Retina" MacBook Pro, the screen will play videos in the Finder and applications like Quicktime at 1080p.

If you're playing videos from your Mac through your Apple TV with AirPlay, I believe it dials the resolution down to something under 720p because of the wireless bandwidth.

3. filo8818 thread starter macrumors newbie

no my mac is not retina.
    so whats the max resolution supported by the mac non retina? 720fps??

thanks

4. MacKid macrumors 6502

If your computer is a MacBook Pro, the highest HD resolution it can display is 720p.

5. filo8818 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! Thanks a lot!! And you also know something about the nvidia gforce 8400gs?? How i can find the max resolution? Cause when they say hd it mean 720 or 1080??

6. MacKid macrumors 6502

The resolution you can see is usually dependent on the screen you're looking at, and not the video card you're using. If your television can be set to 1080p resolution, you can hook up your PC (or MacBook Pro) and see things at that resolution.

7. filo8818 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thats nice! Thanks a lot. Ya i guess the tv is a full HD 3D samsung.

I guess is already set to it...