Basic Question from New Programmer.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by shakeman0, May 9, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Hi all,

I am looking to take a course on programming and am not sure what programming language I need to learn to program for iPhone/iPod/iPad etc. I am almost positive it is C++. Is this right? The course I am looking at says it is level one C++ and the only prerequisite required is one year of algebra. There is also a level two Linux course. Would I move onto that after the C++ course?

Thanks for your help,

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

actually the programing language associated with iOs programming is objective c which is different from c++

3. xStep macrumors 68000

Just to use the capitalization properly, the language used for iPhone OS programing is Objective-C.

If you haven't done any programming before, then just a straight C course would be a good starting point. You don't want to muck up your brain with C++.

The free Stanford course available in iTunes U assumes some programming knowledge.

4. firewood macrumors 604

If you do learn C++, pay most attention to basic C and general OOP concepts, and much less to the syntax and special features of C++.

If you learn to think in objects, but code in C, you're most of the way to a good start in Objective C.