Basic Question re Battery

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Smoothie, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

I just ordered the Watch 3, which will be my first Apple Watch. If the battery is fully depleted, does the watch retain all of the settings and maintain the correct time until the watch is charged? If so, is there any time limit after which the watch loses this data?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

3. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

It is like ipad or iphone. Its a little computer with 8 or 16gb storage.

4. Smoothie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

5. Vermifuge, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

If you mean fully deplete as in reaching absolute zero... Modern electronics especially like those made by Apple have software & circuitry that prevent the battery from reaching an absolute zero charge because it will cause irreparable harm to the battery. What happens if you ignore the low power waning? The watch shuts off until you charge it. When it powers back up it will be just as your left it.

6. mk313 macrumors 6502a

To build off of this point, I took my watch out for a run one morning without noticing that it hadn't charged over night. The battery was at around 20% when I started my run. I got a low power warning at 10%, and the watch shut itself off when it hit around 5% (not sure if the same thing happens when you aren't using the fitness features, maybe it would go lower), but the end result was that when I got home and charged it back up, it had saved all of my info, even the run data to the point where it turned off.