Basic question, worried I have some spyware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rchip, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hey there! Sorry for my basic question, I'm not the greatest with computers! I've got my macbook air with lion which i picked up last month, I'm noticing the pop ups are reflecting what i've been browsing online, for example I've been looking at getting a new mountain bike and there are adverts on youtube down the side and other websites for bicycle stores etc. I've noticed this before on pc's etc but if i've deleted the history and cache they seemed to disappear and i just assumed it was normal but on my macbook air i've deleted my history and cache and the adverts are still appearing based on what i've browsed! Is this normal or do I have some form of spyware on my mac?

any help is appreciated!

cheers,

rich

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not spyware; it's advertising. Get an ad-blocker for your browser and block pop-ups in your Safari preferences.

3. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for the response!

I know it's advertising, they're not pop ups they're just on the sides/magins of sites that have advertising, I was just wondering how they are directly related to what i've been browsing? I'm sure if i start searching for a new TV my adverts on sites will change to TV stores! It doesn't bother me to get an add blocker or anything, but you're saying that it's normal for my adverts to be tailored to what i've been browsing?

Cheers!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. As a matter of fact, that's part of what made Google so successful. Check out Google AdSense.

5. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks for the help, the wiki link is pretty good! I've disabled my cookies now so hopefully that should solve the problem :)

thanks

rich

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Disabling all cookies will make browsing a pain, I'd go with the opt-out option instead.

7. csixty4 macrumors regular

More specifically, this practice is called "remarketing".

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can use a browser extension like adblock. Killing all cookies will render some sites unusable.

9. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe