Basic questions about syncing.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M03, Mar 13, 2012.

1. M03 macrumors newbie

Sorry if these are silly questions. The only Apple device I've owned is my MacBook Pro and I'm considering getting the iPhone 4S next month.

iCloud is the ONLY reason I would need to upgrade to Lion. Aside from social media and communication apps, Logic and Traktor are the only programs I use.

I just want to know, when I get my iPhone, can I sync my iCal with it?
    Via USB or over my wireless network? (Preferably wireless/Wi-Fi, but USB is acceptable.) Not sure how the iCloud website works because I cannot yet create an account but would I be able to simply download/upload events and contacts or something?

I've seen an application called BusyCal that syncs with iCloud/iCal/Google Calenders. Perhaps this could solve the issue? (Though, it cost $50)
    Even then, say I create an even through my phone, would it update BusyCal on my laptop if I'm connected to a network?

Also, email pushing/sync? What's the point of this when there's an app for mail on the iOS?

Aside from this, I really don't want to be required to upgrade to Lion...but if I must...

(If it's of any use, my laptop specs are in my signature and I currently have iCloud installed on my Netbook running Windows 7 [though my Apple ID isn't iCloud compatible yet])

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had mobile me before I got my iPad or even my iPhone 4. At the time I had an iPod touch. Mobile me kept my contacts and calendar in sync between my Mac and my iPod touch whenever I was in range of wifi. At the time I had been using a Blackberry and using a usb cable to sync. I was not satisifed with BB Desktop Manager for OSX nor was I satisfied with Mark/Space Missing Sync.

I saw settings in iTunes that would have allowed sync of my contacts and calendar during a cable sync but I never tried them because I already subscribed to Mobileme.

When Lion came out, I got it right away because I wanted to continue to enjoy the seamless painless sync I was accustomed to with mobileme. I have only had minor issues since then.

I suggest you consider upgrading to Lion so you have access to iCloud but if you insist on using a usb cable, I've heard it would work. Still when I think about cable sync, it reminds me of a certain Star Trek movie where Scotty tries talking to the mouse only to find out he has to use the keyboard and he says "How Quiant."

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can set up a Gmail account to use for calendars and/or contacts in Snow Leopard. Add the CALDAV account in iCal, sync your Address Book with Google and you're ready for the iPhone when you get it.

You can export your current iCal calendar(s) and import the events into the Gmail calendar(s). Multiple calendars can be created at the Gmail web interface and added to iCal via the account "delegates".

Address Book groups won't sync with Google...just "All Contacts". With iCloud in Lion, they're supposed to.

4. M03, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

M03 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, in order to Wi-Fi sync, I'd have to use Mobile Me/iCloud?
    I thought this could be done through iTunes over my network.

*It's not my contacts that I'm so much worried about. My phone is mostly where I need that and doing it via USB cable isn't too much of a hassle. It's mostly the iCal syncing I'm concerned with.
    I want to be able to setup notifications and such on my laptop but have my phone notify me (alarms for work, events, birthdays, etc.)

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Oops. I forgot about that. Yes you are right. You can sync via wifi to iTunes as long as your device is on a charger. I didn't consider this option because I was so glad to get my Mac out of the business of acting as "mothership" to my iOS devices. Also I don't know (from personal experience) whether or not contacts sync through iTunes sync or not. The mainstream approach to contacts and calendar sync is iCloud which is free if you can live within 5 Gig of storage on iCloud including your device backup. I have 25 Gig because I converted a mobile me account and have used 13 Gig including backing up two 16 gig iOS devices that are both within a gig and a half of being full. Mobile me is no longer available so when you consider cloud based sync options for iOS devices you are really choosing between iCloud and some third party solution such as gmail or google apps.

6. M03, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

M03 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

I believe this answers my question...