Basic questions

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arkiboys, Jul 12, 2011.

1. arkiboys macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am thinking of purchasing an ipad2 but not sure if it does what I want it to do.
    Can you please see my questions below and let me know if the ipad2 allows for them?
    Note that I have done some reading on these topics but not quite sure about the answers yet.

1- I watch training videos alot and would like to know if while on the move on the train, then I can still watch videos online on the internet?

2- Is the internet speed (While on the move) faster than the internet speed of a mobile phone?

3- It seems that while at home, I can use the wireless internet connection ?

4- Is it possible to transfer files from say a computer to ipad2?

Thank you

2. Ronnoco, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

1. Yes, as long as you have a 3G iPad and a data plan and you have a decent signal (or the train has wifi).
    2. The data speeds are dependent on several factors including how far you are from the towers, which provider you've chosen and what type of media you will be streaming. I find my iPad is faster then my iPhone perhaps having to do with the faster processor.
    3. Yes
    4. Yes

3. arkiboys thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

There are a few different ways to transfer files. The most common is connecting your ipad to your computer via iTunes and then transferring files. Others include programs like GoodReader and DropBox and there are others...

5. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Traveled on Auto-Train

I took a trip on the Auto-Train (VA to FL). I have 3G and Wifi thinking if one fails the other would work. No so. I did not have Wifi access at all. The 3G was in and out and not very consistent in the rural areas. Eventually, I turned on the Airplane Mode to preserve the battery for the next day so I could use the navigation system.

If you are traveling on the Acela, it has Wifi access.

Good luck

6. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Wifi

I am able to use Wifi at home on my private network and at work using my official log on. To access different location is very easy.