Basic questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kat.hayes, Jun 12, 2013.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of getting a high end 27-incher.

1. Do these run hot?
    2. Are they loud? Do the fans kick in often?
    3. How is the visibility of the displays when viewed in a room with sunlight?

Thanks.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

1. Only for periods of intense CPU/GPU loading.
    2. No. See #1.
    3. Very good.

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

If you're getting the 2012 model they're defintely cooler than previous versions.

Single fan and machines generally run cool.

You won't have any issues with the display.

4. TType85 macrumors newbie

1. No
    2. No, I can't hear it over my NAS sitting on my desk, and the NAS is pretty quiet.
    3. Good, even better than the 2011 versions. I still wish there was a matte option available.

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

1.) I definitely want a SSD. Does it make more sense to buy one with a hard drive installed and swap it out with my own SSD or to just get the SSD installed from Apple?

2.) What about RAM? I want to load it with RAM, should I buy it from Apple with the RAM installed or do it myself, or is it too much trouble to do it yourself?

Thanks.

6. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

Replacing the drive yourself can be a task, especially if you are now used to prying open a iMac.

Do not buy RAM from apple, 27in iMacs are very easy to replace the RAM on yourself requiring no technical knowledge. You will find RAM far cheaper from outside vendors.

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Get the SSD at purchase as its a pain to open the machines up.

RAM - defo buy this after market. It's way cheaper and very easy to install.

8. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

I currently have a Macpro with my main drive and the other drives to store my data, so I only use the main drive for the OS and applications, and some word documents and music.

1. I'm thinking of getting the 256GB SSD to save some money. Is this just a bad idea even if I do not store lots of files on it? Does the iMac use free space on a SSD the same way it does on a Hard Drive to improve performance? Is there a certain % of the SSD that should remain free?

Thanks!