Basic SL Install Q

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Feb 5, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I received my MBP from AppleCare yesterday completely blank. I sent it in simply for them to replace the trackpad, which they did but I also got back my 500GB HD completely empty, with Snow Leopard re-installed. Fortunately I have everything backed up, all my important files...but not in "time machine" mode, just as a basic external HD fashion.

Last night with my fresh new MBP and HD I did something stupid and messed around with some of MAC OS X's internal files...why? I don't even know. One of the things I did was change my main accounts name as I didn't see fit what it currently was. Now it says some files can't open because of some file directory thing...The good thing is that since its a fresh install of SL, I have no problem just re-installing it.

I have the SL disk I used back in August to install to my MBP that already had Leopard @ the time. I'm wondering to do a re-install do I also need my Leopard disk? I have both disks, just wondering if I can cut out the middle man and just install it by poping in SL disk rather than Leopard disk first, then SL....

Afterward I would install my MBP to my external HD and re-add all my files as needed.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, you just need the SL install DVD.

MRoogle would have answered you that question.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

thank you.

I just thought of something...if I do this, considering that SL doesn't come with iLife....does this mean i'll lose iLife09* too?

4. TheAshMan macrumors regular

Nuke and pave

I would recommend after booting from SL DVD to open Disk Utility and erase the hard drive first. Nothing like a clean slate.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wait, wait. Open disk utility after installing SL?
    I was on planning on switching out my 500GB HD with the 160GB that came w/ my Mac, connect the 500GB HD to my Mac and completely erase it then w/ disk utility. I was then planning on switching the HD's again so the 500GB HD one would be in my MBP and then pop in the SL disk to install.

Something that came to mind earlier today was my applications.
    Many of my application i've purchased and i'm thinking this would mean having to add all over again the activation keys/codes for these apps when I install them on the new HD.. this really isn't a problem overall, but i know i have like an app or 2 that will ask for the code and i won't have it...

Or what if I copy my entire Applications folder to my 160GB external HD?

Let's say I just want my external 160GB HD to just be a placeholder for my documents, movies, music and picture folder. Then i'll want to completely erase my 500GB HD (which'll stay in my mac)...how can I do that? So I can reinstall SL on this 500GB HD...I mean, can disk utlity erase its own hard drive? Am i making sense? lol. Hope I am.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

1. Boot to the SL DVD,
    2. Click Utilities in the menu bar
    3. Run Disk Utility
    4. Erase, Partition, whatever you want to do
    5. When complete, quit Disk Utility
    6. The Installer will open automatically

iLife will be gone, however you should be able to get it from the Applications DVD that came with your computer originally.

License data is generally not stored in /Applications. The data could be stored anywhere, it is really up to the dev. If you don't have some keys, you may want to contact the developer to have them resent. Many have a simple form on their website.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I had no idea. I think i'll do this tonight. I'll completely erase my 500GB HD, with SL in the disk drive and should see the installer automatically boot up. Thats awesome. Looks like I won't be on MacRumors for the next 12 hours.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You will have to click ahead a bit. The Installer is the first thing to open after choosing your language. That is when you should click Utilities and run Disk Utility. And when you quit Disk Utility the Installer runs again.