Basic SSD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sturob, Jun 18, 2012.

1. sturob macrumors regular

Yes, this question will simultaneously date me AND garner for me a dunce cap, but here goes.

I guess the subtlety in why Apple is touting the rmbp's "Flash storage" escapes me. The simultaneously-released regular ol' MBP comes with either a spinning HDD or an SSD. They're calling the "drive" in the rmbp flash storage, not a however-big SSD.

Why is that? Are the SSDs in the other MBPs DRAM? Is it because it's on a little card and not in a little silver skeuomorphic box to make it look like a hard drive? Is it more subtle? Less subtle? Insidious? Pernicious? Meaningless?

Marketing?

Stuart

2. simsaladimbamba

Marketing. It is the same technology, just without the housing/casing.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Not really...Since an SSD contains no moving parts, data transfer is much quicker than you'd get with a physical HDD (Spinning platters) When I purchased my MBA (256 SSD) I was very impressed with the increased speed.

My MBP 17" has an HDD (7200) It's fast, but nowhere near the speed of a solid state drive.

Marketing? In a way...But Apple give you the choice on all but the new RMBP.

If you are doing large file work, an SSD is a great addition.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think they're just doing that to indicate that it isn't a standard replaceable 2.5" SSD. It's still an SSD, in fact the Retina MBP uses the same chips as the Samsung 830 SSD that you can buy off the shelf, just repackaged into a different form factor:

[​IMG]

5. barredfreak macrumors 6502

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well these flash does save space compared to 2.5in drives.
    And these Flash Storages are replaceable. Its just not that common.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

As has been mentioned, SSD is a standard form factor. The storage in the new computer does not use a standard drive.