Basics of jailbreaking an iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iluvifone, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I'm just curious if someone could elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of jailbreaking an iPhone 4.

My understanding so far:

Advantages:
    -install apps that are not in app-store/certified by apple, therefore making your iphone highly customizable
    -install pirated apps (read an article about this on google, not sure if i understood it fully, but basically you can download 'full version' apps (much like you can for Windows)) and install them for free.. Can someone clarify that? so basically, I can search and find a torrent for the $50 tomtom app and just install it, like that?

Disadvantages:
    -voids warranty I believe, but isn't jailbreaking reversable by simply doing a clear/restore on your iphone to original settings (incase in need of repair by apple)?
    -forces you to stay on that current iOS version; if you update, you lose your JB

Surely there are more points to add to both lists, could someone please care to help me?

Thank you

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

For the USA, yes. Free in Canada.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You can restore your settings back to the factory settings easily, but doesn't this erase all your app's data (like Todo lists/alerts, ebooks loaded onto apps, saved games, bookmarks in alternative browsers, etc.)? I guess you could restore from a back-up after doing a fresh restore, but wouldn't that back-up be a jailbroken version (your last iPhone back-up)? Is there any way to restore from a previous non-jailbroken back-up? By grabbing one off of time machine?

5. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

If only there were an iPhone Hacks section that contained numerous threads discussing the advantages/disadvantages of jailbreaking ad nauseum. ;)

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Understand that it's against the rules to assist you with pirating software. We're not helping you with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.