Basics of jailbreaking, what are the dangers?

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Other than the speed, warranty, and backgrading to prior iOS, is there a danger of damage that CAN'T be reversed?

Specifically can 'bricking' be reversed, or does that mean the unit is 'for parts only'?

I'm looking at doing this with a iPT G4 using maybe redsn0w and want the latest iOS version.

Thanks.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Other than the speed, warranty, and backgrading to prior iOS, is there a danger of damage that CAN'T be reversed?

Specifically can 'bricking' be reversed, or does that mean the unit is 'for parts only'?

I'm looking at doing this with a iPT G4 using maybe redsn0w and want the latest iOS version.

Thanks.
Unless you have a specific need, why bother?

I ask this in true honesty

And if you have a dpecific need, just make sure that you succede

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Anything that a jailbreak can do, can be undone via a DFU mode restore in iTunes.

Bricking is when your devices doesn't turn on at all. No Apple logo, no backlight, no nothing. It is extremely difficult to brick an iDevice with current jailbreak tools. And only those who make the tools can brick a device, but only if they were actively trying to brick one.

tehpea

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011
Portugal
You can restore warranty by restoring. The way JBing is done now it's highly unlikely your device will be unrestorable.

utahman130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2012
Follow this to restore your iDevice if it's afflicted by almost anything. Very, very hard to truly brick your device

Go with Absinthe v2.0.4! Easiest jailbreak out there by far! (Must have is 5.1.1 installed). Download

PM me, quote me, or email me at ijoecoles@gmail.com if you need any help.