Basics to E*TRADE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pink∆Floyd, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Can somebody who does this for a living (I know we have a few members) or has a good understanding of how this works help me out?

I've always been extremely curious as to how this whole stock trading works and I'd appreciate some tips from the pros

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Buy low Sell high :D

All kidding aside investing in the stock market is very risky, you can lose your money in a hurry if you dont know what you're doing.... and these days even if you do know what you're doing you can lose your money in a hurry.

It's very complex and there are alot of details to doing it... But if you just want the basics like "how stocks work" type of thing then just google basics of stock trading or something similar.

There are tons of good articles online which explain the basics really well.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Whatever you do make sure not to trade a lot. They charge $9.99 a trade. So unless the stock you're trading is going to make you some money don't trade very often because you will lose more to commissions than you gain in stocks.

I made that mistake and it won't happen again.

4. wpotere Guest

And remember that at the end of the year Uncle Sammy will want his share of your sale.

5. Peace, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not in my case. LOL

<------ stupid

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That's why everyone should use Zecco trading. Especially if you ever attempt penny stocks.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I used this book. Gave me a good insight into the basics.

[​IMG]

8. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Investopedia.com helped me but I never took the plunge. It even has a stock simulator where you can invest fake money like you would in real life. I would recommend that.