Basilisk II -SCSI

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by cjbriare, Nov 8, 2008.

1. cjbriare macrumors member

cjbriare

Well, i found my Rhapsody PPC cd, and thought to put it on my old G3 powerbook. But, uh-oh. It only supports the desktop macs. So i got Basilisk II for windows, Rhapsody booted off the CD fine, but it needs SCSI support, otherwise the virtual disk wont mount. I got some ASPI files, but none of them worked. (basilisk II said there was an error loading the file.) Does anybody know what the best ASPI driver to use with Basilisk II is?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

You don't need to mess around with Basilisk to run Rhapsody on your G3 PB. When the Rhapsody warning box comes up saying you can not install on this computer, just tick the 'install on unsupported hardware' box and your away.

3. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Okay..

It only has restart. It says the installer will not work on this macintosh model. Please use the latest installer to update it for this computer(or something like that) But overall, it just says restart. Do i have to hold down a key or something?

4. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Update

OS 9.2 was installed on the PB. I loaded the startup disk CP and saw that there was OS 8.1 on the CD, for booting up in MacOS, then there was another partition on the CD, it said Rhapsody, and the CP detected it as OS X. SO i rebooted with that, i got to the Starting rhapsody screen, then it looked like open firmware showed up saying that it couldn't load something. So, im going to partition my HD into 2 parts. One for OS 9 which would be formatted Mac OS Extended, and one for Rhapsody, formatted as UFS. Then, i'll try it from there. If anybody knows how to install it the RIGHT way, any help will be greatly appreciated.

5. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

From memory, 'the install on unsupported hardware' option was on a drop down menu when the warning box appears.

The copy of OS 8.1 on the install disk is for the 'Blue Box' or classic environment as it became known in OS X.

You will need to have a Mac OS Extended formatted partiton to install on to.

Have a look at forum member Racer X's site http://www.rhapsodyos.org/home.html All the answers are there somewhere, including full instructions on installation on G3 Powerbooks.

6. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

Question

Okay... When i boot my PowerBook off OS 9.2 on the internal hard drive, and i launch the "Install Rhapsody" and reboots to OS 8 on the rhapsody CD, so that it doesn't dismount the root drive, right? Just like OS X does? So, if i partition my HD into two parts, 1 for OS 9.2, and one for rhapsody, if i boot of the first partition, and install Rhapsody onto the second, would i still need to boot off the CD?

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

What version are you running and what PB are you installing it on to. It looks to me like you are going to need at least Rhapsody 5.3 to install on a G3 PB unless its a Kanga.

8. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

It's a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet. 192MB ram, 3.5 GB HD.

9. cjbriare thread starter macrumors member

cjbriare

I did a little research and found that I would need rhapsody 5.3-5.6, because those versions are compatible with my PB. Now- does anyone know where to download it? Like a torrent or something? I checked eBay but, no rhapsody.