Bass guitarist

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kelseyella, Mar 28, 2011.

1. kelseyella macrumors newbie

Hi all, i am a bass guitar student. Planning to buy a new guitar in few year. Any suggestions about what type of guitar should i buy?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Get one you like, that addresses the shortcomings in whatever bass you have now, in a color you like that is well suited to whatever music you like to play and that sells at a price you can afford.

If that advice was not specific enough then you will need to write a bit about yourself and your goals.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

^^^ Ha - this!

Op - I bought my bass having never played one before. That was difficult as I really had no experience to compare my choice to (as it is, possibly a bigger and heavier body would have suited me better).

Pick one that feels comfortable, and probably one that other bassists playing your favorite genre of music use... ie - if there's a particular sound you're aiming for then buy a bass with those woods and pickup configuration.

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Sadly it seems harder to just wander into a store and play a true variety of basses these days (jeez I'm old;) ). It was wonderful to just head into Boston and easily play a Pedulla, Fender, Yamaha, Gibson, Rickenbacher, Peavey, Ken Smith, and so on in 4, 5 and 6 string and fretted and fretless varieties ...

That said, any chance you get for hands-on time ... take it!

5. Chrism1976 macrumors newbie

You're best bet is to try out as many different basses as you can. I've found that mom and pop music stores are most helpful with questions but they sometimes lack the variety that you can try. So you may want to head over to guitar center and try them out.

Pick it up... feel it, listen to it and ask yourself if it's meets all your needs. Different basses have different feels and sounds. You can even try 4 of the same make and model of a bass and each will be different. Also ask yourself if you are serious in bass playing. If you are you may want to spend a little more on a bass. I'm not saying buy a $2000 bass but maybe purchase a bass that is better made. You do get what you pay for.

Personally... I love fender p-basses. They are versatile in most styles of playing and in my opinion have a great sound and tone. And if you're a recording musician they are almost always at the top of the list to record with.

But bottom line... the question isn't "what type of guitar I should buy". Because in the end it's up to the player not the audience.

And always remember... an instrument is only as good as it's player.

Hope this helps a bit!

6. M87 macrumors 65816

I don't know much about basses, but I just got an Ernie Ball Music Man guitar and it is excellent.

7. kelseyella thread starter macrumors newbie

Bass guitarist

Hi all,
    Thanks for all your answers. Hope for the guidance of you people in future as well.