.bat files on mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by prooz, Jan 7, 2011.

1. prooz macrumors newbie

I didn't really know what category to post this but I'm using a macbook so why not.
    Mac's can't run -bat files created on a windows desktop. If I would o create a new one on a mac would the commands be different than the ones from windows? And to create a .bat file you need a .txt file. But you can't create that with TextEdit. What app to use?

If the commands are different, are there a list with commands?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Find a book or online reference for "bash" which is the program run in Terminal. You create files generally with the .sh extension. You can edit with vi or emacs or any number of plain-text editors.

You will find that you can do things far beyond the capabilities of Windows cmd.exe. And you also have other possibilities beyond shell scripts such as Python and Perl.

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, you might be able to get the job done with the Mac programs Automator or AppleScript.

3. prooz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been googleing for a few days and Applescripts always popped up. Now when you mentioned it I looked it up and it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you.