All iPads Batch conversion + ability to choose 720p or 1080p

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LemPh, Feb 14, 2014.

1. LemPh macrumors member

Hello everyone. May I ask you if there is a program which I can use to convert my MKV/AVI movies in any iPad-suitable format by choosing even the quality? I do not just want to use "iPad profile".. I would choose resolution, bitrate and so on. And batch conversion would be great too. As I have a retina iPad I want to get the best from this screen!! I know there's something in Windows but I am on a MBP.
    Thank you in advance :)

2. RDAR macrumors 6502

3. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I always use Handbrake. Open source, lots of control and you can batch list. They include device profiles but you could use these as a starting point and then tweak the settings as you like and Save the results as your own encoding profile.:

http://handbrake.fr/

4. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both. Handbrake uses profiles (iPad, Apple TV) and I actually do not know if there's any kind of quality loss. Don't know about Video Monkey. I am now converting a 1080p to test Handbrake.

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I use HandBrake, with the Regular Normal Preset.
    That makes no change to size or sound quality.
    I've converted 1080p mkvs to mp4, and I've seen no loss in quality. I do strip out any superfluous language and subtitling.
    For Movies, I then use MetaZ to get all the movie metadata before adding it into the file before adding it to iTunes.
    For TV Episodes I add it to Video Monkey to get the TV Metadata and do the same.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I may not be understanding your concern exactly, but these presets in Handbrake are merely for convenience. They're a good starting point, but you can make changes to them, and then save the new settings as your own preset.

As an example, I made and use different presets depending on the source material. If it's something I recorded from TV, I'll usually use a decomb filter, and lower bitrate, while a ripped DVD gets a higher bitrate in an attempt to balance quality and file size.

7. LemPh thread starter macrumors member

That's great. I didn't know that :D

----------

Hi. My only concern is about a loss of quality, for this reason I don't like presets so much. Nothing else :)
    But if there's no loss, as I read above, there's no problem ;)