Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DinoAdventure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I recently took a bunch of pictures at a concert for my buddies band with my new D50. All the pictures were taken in RAW format (.NEF to be specific). I am really enjoying the extra editing capabilities of the RAW images. However, the band would like to edit some of the images as well, and I don't think they really have any RAW editing capabilities. So is there anyway I can convert a bunch of RAW images to high quality JPEGs? Either in photoshop or with a 3rd party app?

Thanks

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
What are YOU using to convert RAW files?

if its iPhoto, why not just export them all?

Does nikon capture have batch editing?

DinoAdventure

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I am using Photoshop CS2. So far I haven't really converted any of the images. I am opening them in PS and editing them, and then saving them as JPGs. I'll check out the links above, thanks.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Chip NoVaMac said:
I guess it depends on what the band wants to change on the images. The batch conversion in PS to JPEG should give them more than enough capabilities.
Yeah I figured Photoshop could, but I don't know how. I use aperture these days.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
DinoAdventure said:
I am using Photoshop CS2. So far I haven't really converted any of the images. I am opening them in PS and editing them, and then saving them as JPGs. I'll check out the links above, thanks.

Photoshop is also scriptable. You can set up "actions" using one example image that can then be applied to a whole series of images, in batch form. I don't remember the specific steps, but there is an "actions" window you can open up that has a little record button. As I remember, you hit the record button, go through the steps (open file, save file in new format), hit the stop button, and then save the action. You can then select a whole bunch of files and run the same action on all of those files.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
DinoAdventure said:
I recently took a bunch of pictures at a concert for my buddies band with my new D50. All the pictures were taken in RAW format (.NEF to be specific). I am really enjoying the extra editing capabilities of the RAW images. However, the band would like to edit some of the images as well, and I don't think they really have any RAW editing capabilities. So is there anyway I can convert a bunch of RAW images to high quality JPEGs? Either in photoshop or with a 3rd party app?

Thanks

Get Nikon Capture. It costs $100 but it's free for a 30 day evaluation. Sounds like this job is perfect for such an evaluation. NC can do batches and can apply the setting you want to the entire batch. You can also have the option to save as TIFF. TIFFs are huge but are almost as good for editing as NEF. But they will need a fast computer for TIFFs Just use NC do make a desent moderatly tweeked JPG NC is on the Nion web site

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
DinoAdventure said:

Thanks
Photoshop CS2 lets you do multiple RAW files.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
In Photoshop cs3 oyu can do it. When you open up raw image(s), it prompts you to a pre post edit screen, confirming you want to open the image(s). From there you can make basic changes such as rotation, etc, and at the bottom left, there is a save function, and you can choose what format to save them all as. I did this recently with my hiking trip photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.