Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Back in the day, I used to rip all of my DVD movies using MacTheRipper to the VIDEO_TS format, thinking that this was the most archival manner to go about backing up my movies (as its basically the same as the files on the DVD disc, minus DRM Copy Protection). Problem is that the VIDEO_TS format isn't the optimal format for playback on my devices, and media center apps.

My question is -- assuming that I want be able to playback my VIDEO_TS DVD rips on my iPad, AppleTV & iPhone, and be able to play them via Plex/XBMC/Boxee, what is the best way to go about batch converting about 500 VIDEO_TS rips without having to manually load each one into handbrake, choose a preset, verify whether de-interlacing in necessary or not, choose a file name, output folder, etc, etc...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Handbrake - only problem is you have to manually add each of them. Though I think there might be a script that will add all off the movies, like some do with TV shows

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
If you look a little further up the page there are some scripts from mac.jedi which will greatly speed up the process.

Not perfect (i.e. you can't use the custom settings box you have to hack the script) but will provide what you're looking for. Particularly good with TV shows where you can set expected length and have it pull out all the files of the right length.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
new version of handbreak will batch but not sure about TS rips... check out the nightly builds for yourself

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
new version of handbreak will batch but not sure about TS rips... check out the nightly builds for yourself
Batch scanning in the nightly only looks one level deep, so does not do subdirectories. Therefore does not work for a directory full of dvd rips. Only a directory containing non dvd single file videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.