Batch convert Word documents to PDF

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mechcozmo, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I know all about printing Word documents to PDF... however:

A number of my teachers this semester are posting the work we have to do in .doc format. I'd prefer to have the information in a PDF, as I don't have Word on my computer (TextEdit and iWork '08 handle everything just fine for me, for now). Is there a way to batch-convert .doc files to .pdf? Some sort of software that I can download?

P.S. I do use fink, but don't really like to mess with CLI stuff if it isn't well-thought-out. Thanks!

2. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've found a solution on my own.

I installed the CUPS-PDF printer package, then made it into a Desktop printer. After downloading, I drag the Word documents to the Desktop printer. From there, they show up on a printer on my Desktop named "cups-pdf". I wrote a script for File List (Linkety) that converts the name I get from the PDF printer (the one containing underscores and job-XXX prefixes) into a more human-friendly name. I turned that into a droplet and stored it inside the cups-pdf folder, so as soon as a job is finished I drag it to the renamer and it fixes up the name.

If anybody is looking into doing this and can't figure it out from the instructions above, PM me. Otherwise, I've answered my own question (with the help of Google and too many hours spent connected to the internet :D).

3. RNS macrumors newbie

That works perfectly! Thank you for sharing your skills!!!

4. Aeroneer macrumors newbie

Hello Mechcozmo
    I was interested in your solution to batch-convert .doc files to .pdf format.
    Thanks.
    Also, re your LS443 problem of 4 years ago.....
    My LS443 has recently developed exactly the same problem, except that it is intermittent. Works OK most of the time, but when you really need it to function (like at our daughter's wedding last weekend) it lets you down. It started taking photos OK, then packed a sad - the screen went completely blank (solid black) it will not focus (no confirming tone) the red light shows, but if you keep pressing the shutter button it will flash and "apparently" takes a photo, but it just records a solid black image. Later on (at the reception) it started working again, and I took some photos indoors OK, then same problem again.
    The Kodak Support site is no help - I just got a message that the LS443 is "not supported" anymore (no wonder!!).
    Did you manage to get yours repaired? If so, do you know what component/s were replaced? I'd hate to throw mine away. It cost me heaps down here in the South Pacific paradise of New Zealand, and I would really like to get it repaired if possible.