Batch Encoder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WesCole, Sep 19, 2010.

1. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I tried to do a search for this, but the most recent post I could find was in May '09.

I was wondering if there is a good batch encoding program for videos. I am planning on encoding all of my movies to the new Apple TV format in preparation for the launch of it.

I know handbrake can queue files, but you have to add them one-by-one.

Are there any applications where I can just select all of my videos and then select Apple TV format and just let it run for a week or so to encode them all?

Thanks in advance.

Wes

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use MPEG Streamclip for batch encoding (CMD+B), but it has no presets, thus you have to manually set the settings once for all files.

3. WesCole thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

So, AppleTV is just the standard 1280x720, right? I don't have to do anything special? I plan on adding them to my iTunes library so I can stream them to the AppleTV, so I want to make sure they are compatible.

Thanks again.

Wes

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple TV is up to 1280 x 720, but it can play videos with a lower resolution too.
    Are all your videos in that resolution?

As far as I know, MPEG Streamclip leaves the resolution as it is unless you change the setting for that.

5. WesCole thread starter macrumors 6502a

My videos are a mixed bunch of resolutions. I also noticed that the program you suggested doesn't encode .mkv files. I will give it a try on a handful of videos first before I commit to doing my whole library and see how those work on my AppleTV when I get it.

I am still not sure why Handbrake doesn't offer an easy batch encoding process. I suppose I could add ten or so every night before bed and get it done that way....haha.

Wes