Batch image import into PowerPoint

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applegeek13, Jun 13, 2011.

1. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I'm trying to import nearly 400 images (jpeg format) into PowerPoint 2004. I really don't want to hand-create 400 new slides, and then insert images, and then resize them. Is there a way to import a folder full of jpegs into powerpoint as individual slides? If not, what would be the best way to go about doing so?

Thanks- Jacob

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are barking up the wrong tree. PowerPoint is a presentation application, not an image viewer. In preparation for this post, I attempted to drag & drop a selection of .jpg photograph files onto PowerPoint 2008. The application would not accept them. These photographs must be imported one-by-one.

My guess is that it is possible to write an AppleScript that responds to a selection of photographs by creating the proper template and then importing one of more photographs into each page.

Suffice it to say, there are much easier ways to create slideshows on the Mac. iPhoto will do it without requiring you to create a new file, let alone the massive file that a PowerPoint file containing 400 photographs would be. Quicktime Pro will allow you to create a slideshow from an unlimited number of photographs in one or two steps.

3. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I too had a lot of pictures that I needed to put into either powerpoint or keynote and found no way to do it easily. After seeing the title of this thread I thought someone might have known a way. Oh well.

I would have used iPhoto to sync the pics to my iPad so I can hook up to my projector at lectures, but photos on the iPad doesn't support video out. Am I missing something??? So I had to use keynote which does.
    I guess I should also ask about this in the iPad forum. Don't mean to hijack.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, you are missing something. Create a slideshow in QuickTime Pro, upload the video to your iPad, and then use a projector-compatible video player to play it.

5. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Yea, that would work and for about $30 (I think) I'll have to get it and use it.
    The presentation I was doing was done the night before so I was taken back when I found that iPad Photos didn't port to the projector and had to resort to using Keynote for the photos. It was all last minute stuff.
    It's still is kind of lame that more apps don't port to the video out. Esp. native apps like Photo.
    Thanks.

6. applegeek13 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I could do it in iPhoto, but it has to be played on a pc and PowerPoint is the requirement. Thanks anyways!

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't know that this works in PowerPoint directly, but in Keynote, I simply drop the photos onto the left sidebar where the slide thumbnails show. Keynote then creates slides for each photo and automatically sizes them (though it incorrectly chooses to cut off the top and bottom of portrait style photos instead of scaling them). You may still want to go through them all and make sure they work properly, but then you can just export to PowerPoint from Keynote and send that file.

jW

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I wouldn't bet on that. As it happens, I am in the process of developing my first Keynote presentation. So far, the presentation is just text and photographs. At any rate, I also want to do a backup PowerPoint of the presentation just in case the presentation hall has problems with Macs and/or iPads. As a test, I exported the Keynote to PowerPoint with the intention of polishing it in the event that I need it. Long story short, the export created a file that PowerPoint 2008 can't handle. I have no trouble going the other way. However, Keynote to PowerPoint is a risky venture.