Batch or Simultaneous HD Surface scanning on 2 drives at once?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slughead, Jul 17, 2012.

1. slughead, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I'm buying 3 new hard drives to replace one that went down (don't ask). They're all 1TB or larger and I would like to run a surface scan on all 3.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a scanner that will scan multiple drives at once, or at least do a batch?

Maybe I can make a bunch of copies of Drive Genius and run them at the same time?

Thanks

2. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Good Question

I'm not sure which is more limiting, the CPU of the Mac or the drive interface, USB 2 or 3, or FireWire.

I don't know any app that can do two drives at once, but maybe that limitation was bc the old current state of tech.

With a core2duo CPU and USB 2, one drive at once made sense, but nowadays, 2-12 cores and hyper threading, along with USB 3 and Thunderbolt, I see the potential. Will the app devs have to rewrite their apps?

Thanks for briningg this up, I don't think the option is available now but probably in the future.

3. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I know people do it in linux, I don't doubt that the hardware is capable, I'm just wondering about the software.