Batch rename song names to (Artist - Song name) WITHIN iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dastraz, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dastraz macrumors newbie

I have song compilation albums in itunes. I prefer to seach by Artist, not album. Compilation albums often assign a different artist for each song. I don't like this, as I end up with thousands of artists, each with only one song! Here's an example:

I copy "Classical Chillout" compilation album to itunes. 30 songs show up, each with their own (new) artist name, song name, and all within the album "Classical Chillout.

Instead of having:

SONG
    Adagio for Strings

ARTIST
    Samuel Barber

ALBUM
    Classical Chillout

I want to batch rename all songs so that the Album name becomes the Artist and each "Artist" name is inserted into the "Song" name

SONG
    Samuel Barber- Adagio for Strings

ARTIST
    Classical Chillout

ALBUM
    Classical Chillout

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Press Command+A (Ctrl+A if you're using Windows) to select every track on the album. Now press Command+I (Ctrl+I on Windows) to open Get Info. Put the Album name in the Artist and Album Artist field and press OK.
    Now, you'll have to select individual tracks, press Command+I to again open Get Info, and add the artist to the end of the song titles.

3. dastraz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've noticed you live in WA.....I'm from Perth.

Where about are you from?

I am very familiar with itunes and the process behind what you've described......however I'm after an iTunes script which can batch edit heaps of songs at a time. It's painstaking, having to rename each song individually....

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd probably have an easier time doing this with MediaRage or a dedicated program. iTunes is horrible for bulk editing. Anyway, you could try searching through Doug's Applescripts for iTunes or trying to find an Automator workflow.

5. jampat macrumors 6502a

By limiting yourself to renaming within Itunes, you are making your job unnecessarily hard. The best program I have found is Tag&Rename. Unfortunately it is windows only, but it runs in Crossover (or Parallels, or VMWare if you prefer). I just don't get why you are typing WITHIN all in caps. I never found any half decent solutions within itunes, there are many great solutions outside of it.

6. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If you tag the Group Compilations option, you should only see artists who don't appear on compilations only. They still show up in a search, but they are not listed in the overview.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You are wasting your time by not tagging the files properly. Note that if you actually bought the music or CD, 99% of the time it'll be tagged properly as described below.

This is a better way.

8. dastraz thread starter macrumors newbie

The Group Compilations thing looks like it will work :)

Will it work the same way when I sync with my ipod classic?

Now i just have to go through itunes and change the Group Compilation settings for all my compilations.....itunes always has work for me....

Thanks for the help