Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hello!

This might be very difficult in describing but I will give it a shot anyway.

I'm wanting to batch rename files in OSX 10.7.5. But not just a general batch rename. I'm wondering if there is a way to use a spreadsheet (or any method) with two different columns with the column "a" current filename and column "b" new name.

Example:

Current Name | New Name

xx-123 | 0001
yy-123 | 0002

etc etc etc

Does anyone know of a program or script that can do such a thing? I usually do it by hand, but when you have 900+ files to be renamed manually it takes forever, is a pain in the butt and hurts my hands!

Hopefully some can pull through for me and offer up some great and automatic advice.

~ndamaren

ndamaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
A Better Finder Rename

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger. Name Mangler supports some fairly advanced scripts that may meet your needs.

Thanks for the help, but none of those do what I need. I am looking into A Better Finder Rename and it can do what i need it to do, but now I've run into another problem. Going by the example in the previous post having xx-123 renamed to 0001 i also have xx-123_2 (and some with _3 and _4 etc etc) which also needs to be renamed to 0001_2 (and _3 and _4 etc etc) and I'm wondering if there is a way to get A Better Finder Rename to recognize this or if there is a script out there that can do it.

Thanks for the help.

~ndamaren

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Thanks for the help, but none of those do what I need. I am looking into A Better Finder Rename and it can do what i need it to do, but now I've run into another problem. Going by the example in the previous post having xx-123 renamed to 0001 i also have xx-123_2 (and some with _3 and _4 etc etc) which also needs to be renamed to 0001_2 (and _3 and _4 etc etc) and I'm wondering if there is a way to get A Better Finder Rename to recognize this or if there is a script out there that can do it.

Thanks for the help.

~ndamaren

I rename 1000's of files each week, I use automator. I will try to attach this small automator file for your download. It just so happens, I used file names like "0001" and this is set up to do the same.
It will need to be unzipped first.
Automator is built into OSX, and it will do a "record your actions" type of thing as well, as long as they repeat the same action, such as copy, paste, move repeat

Attachments

• Rename.zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Are you compiling the list in the spreadsheet by hand? Or is it generated from somewhere?
I only ask because obviously by the time you've typed it in to the spreadsheet, you could have typed in each name directly!

This is of course where a bit of command-line Fu would be very helpful. Beyond my pay-grade, without hitting the books for a few hours. But you might ask on a Unix shell scripting site.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
First of all, export your Excel file to a CSV file and escape the bloated world of Microsoft window applications.. Or your available tools will be limited to those that import/export xls files.

Now that you have your names as a comma separated list of names in a pure text file attack it with your favorite scripting language.

Nath0rigin

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
I rename 1000's of files each week, I use automator. I will try to attach this small automator file for your download. It just so happens, I used file names like "0001" and this is set up to do the same.
It will need to be unzipped first.
Automator is built into OSX, and it will do a "record your actions" type of thing as well, as long as they repeat the same action, such as copy, paste, move repeat

Thanks so much for this... I don't know a lot about automator this script is what ive needed for years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.