Batch Renaming Files OSX 10.7.5

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ndamaren, May 28, 2013.

1. ndamaren macrumors newbie

Hello!

This might be very difficult in describing but I will give it a shot anyway.

I'm wanting to batch rename files in OSX 10.7.5. But not just a general batch rename. I'm wondering if there is a way to use a spreadsheet (or any method) with two different columns with the column "a" current filename and column "b" new name.

Example:

Current Name | New Name

xx-123 | 0001
    yy-123 | 0002

etc etc etc

Does anyone know of a program or script that can do such a thing? I usually do it by hand, but when you have 900+ files to be renamed manually it takes forever, is a pain in the butt and hurts my hands!

Hopefully some can pull through for me and offer up some great and automatic advice.

~ndamaren

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger. Name Mangler supports some fairly advanced scripts that may meet your needs.

3. ndamaren thread starter macrumors newbie

A Better Finder Rename

Thanks for the help, but none of those do what I need. I am looking into A Better Finder Rename and it can do what i need it to do, but now I've run into another problem. Going by the example in the previous post having xx-123 renamed to 0001 i also have xx-123_2 (and some with _3 and _4 etc etc) which also needs to be renamed to 0001_2 (and _3 and _4 etc etc) and I'm wondering if there is a way to get A Better Finder Rename to recognize this or if there is a script out there that can do it.

Thanks for the help.

~ndamaren

4. TheEasterBunny, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

TheEasterBunny macrumors 6502

I rename 1000's of files each week, I use automator. I will try to attach this small automator file for your download. It just so happens, I used file names like "0001" and this is set up to do the same.
    It will need to be unzipped first.
    Automator is built into OSX, and it will do a "record your actions" type of thing as well, as long as they repeat the same action, such as copy, paste, move repeat

Attached Files:

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Are you compiling the list in the spreadsheet by hand? Or is it generated from somewhere?
    I only ask because obviously by the time you've typed it in to the spreadsheet, you could have typed in each name directly!

This is of course where a bit of command-line Fu would be very helpful. Beyond my pay-grade, without hitting the books for a few hours. But you might ask on a Unix shell scripting site.

6. subsonix macrumors 68040

First of all, export your Excel file to a CSV file and escape the bloated world of Microsoft window applications.. Or your available tools will be limited to those that import/export xls files.

Now that you have your names as a comma separated list of names in a pure text file attack it with your favorite scripting language.

7. Nath0rigin macrumors newbie

Nath0rigin

Thanks so much for this... I don't know a lot about automator this script is what ive needed for years now.