Batching high quality JPEGs in PSCS6

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by macmesser, Apr 12, 2013.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I'm new to CS6 having recently been forced by hardware's march of progress to upgrade from a much older version which nevertheless had sufficed for me. Moving to CS6 has been good since it's better, even if slightly unfamiliar, and I am now getting up to speed.

The inability to use the "save for web" command to make a high quality JPEG in a batch has been causing me some problems. I have been using the Image Processor script to save folders of files as JPEGs but neither compression nor quality is nearly as good as "Save for web" as JPEG. Some really bad artifacts appear even when I start with 8MB PSD files and reasonable-seeming quality settings.

The only workaround I have come up with is to use the image processor multiple times and save to successive folders while walking its rudimentary quality setting up each time until all images are of good enough quality and under 250KB in size. Then eyeball. There has to be a better way with Bridge, Lightroom and CS6 all installed. Can anybody clue me in?

Any insights much appreciated.

2. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Don't know if this is of any help to you, but it worked OK for me when I tested it with about 20 pictures just now.

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. When I try to make a batch it doesn't work and actually saves the PSD file to the destination. I have an "save for web" action I recorded which I am trying to use for the batch. I thought something might have broken in CS6. In the help files it says you can't save a JPEG in a batch, use the image processor. I've always batched.

4. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Just realised, I had to search high and low to find an action for this process when I first got CS6. I have no idea where I got it from, sorry. I have a "Set" called Jpeg and there are a number of "Actions" available for me to choose from.

I don't actually use them at all, I work one picture at a time. The most automated I get is when I import into Adobe Raw and apply bulk lens corrections and neutral picture settings.

I hope you can find the actions I got, they are out there on the interweb for free if you look.

Edit:

I found this instruction for doing it manually, recording an action that is!

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I made a simple JPEG action just by recording opening and saving a file as a JPEG, and it worked. I was trying to use the "save for web" command, which exports a JPEG. That has nice controls but unfortunately it doesn't work in a batch. WIll have to get by with something like I just did, which means it will be based on crude controls. I will check the web as I might be able to find an action which does something before the save to improve quality. This is a confusing feature of CS6.

6. Baytriple macrumors 6502

7. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a