Batery problem [66% charged, MBP shuts down]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webia, Apr 27, 2009.

1. webia macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have had this MBP for around 18 months now. The battery has roughly 670 cycles, it's current health shows around 76%. The big issue is that during the past month, I got from bad to worse. I haven't seen the 10 minute warning to plug in the adapter for ages. A month ago it used to show that and almost immediately shut down. Then it went to shutting down when 15% charged, and now, if the charge reaches 66%, it shuts down.

System profiler shows
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3416
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4778
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 669
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 2307
    Voltage (mV): 12194

What should I do?

2. revs macrumors regular

I was going to say that Apple will replace it for free, but then I saw you had a whopping 669 cycles!! So it's unlikely apple will give you a free replacement - they stop at around 300 cycles.

Have you reset the SMC and calibrated the battery? Even if the battery doesn't last long, you should still get the 10min warning

3. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never rested the SMC.

However, how do you think my battery had 90% health and kept my mac going for at least 2 and a half hours up to about a month ago? I usually calibrated my battery once a month. Now, I cannot do that anymore. Having 66% charge and the MBP shutting down, I cannot see how I can drain the battery in under a month.

I will reset the SMC, see what happens and post an update.

PS: I bought the mac in Romania, and I still have 4 months warranty on it. Won't they replace it?

4. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, reseted SMC, charged the battery, waited. 65% charge and got the shutdown.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No they won't replace it. Batteries are a consumable part. With 669 cycles, you've used up the battery and AppleCare doesn't replace batteries if you used it up. You will need to purchase a new battery.

6. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You're still in your first year with your MacBook Pro?

8. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

At that many cycles, I can't sympathize with you! However, my last one did this exact same thing at just 90 or so cycles - it would shut down with 80% remaining or so, especially if the CPU was under a load. I showed it at a Genius Bar and they gave me a new one for free (it was just over a year old). Now the one they replaced it with has about 60 cycles and also will just shut down early. I think your battery is done...but with that many cycles I think you got your money's worth!

9. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I bought the MBP from an apple reseller (there's no apple store, or apple online store in Romania) and they gave me a 2 year warranty, which expires on 1st of October, this year.

10. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

What did the guys at the Genious Bar say? I mean, having so many batteries die like that couldn't the power adapter be the problem ?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah regardless, 669 charges, battery is used up - time for a new one.

12. packgrad2000 macrumors regular

After the first battery, the Genius just gave me a new one. Now I live in Indonesia, and although there are Apple Stores (well, they are an authorized service center), it's not the same as the US and they're not that helpful. And they will not replace the 2nd battery, since it's out of warranty. I've emailed Apple in Singapore about it too.

13. webia thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so had to order a new battery, which should arrive tomorrow. The battery was completely drained out with 670 cycles.