Batman Begins is 5 Hours?!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ScootPatoot, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ScootPatoot macrumors regular

So I encoded Batman Begins from an .mkv source which is the correct length of the movie (2:20:03). I encoded it twice with Handbrake's latest version for the PC 0.9.3. The outputted file is now 5:37:43. The movie plays fine and looks great and after 2:20:03 it just turns to a white screen for 3 + hours. I don't think it effects the file size because it is only 3.5 gigs (not bad for a 720 HD source).

My question is, how would one cut the rest of the movie off without having to encode it again? Any options. I don't want to re-encode the m4v file as it will degrade in quality. I've already re-encoded the .mkv file twice with the same 5.5 hours results. Any ideas?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

MPEG Streamclip should be able to do that. When you clip it, use Save As. Don't export.

3. ScootPatoot thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the software reco. Let me make sure I'm doing this right. I selected the correct time for the "Out" and then clicked on "Trim". I then saved the file as an .mp4 file (since there wasn't an option for .m4v). It is now saving this file as I type this. Now, is it encoding the file all over again? It seems like it is taking a long time is the reason I ask. If it is just making a copy of the file that would explain it as well, and be preferrable.

Or, is there a better way to do this?

Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first time with the software...call me a virgin :p

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Maybe it's the little known prequel, "Batman Slowly Begins".

5. ScootPatoot thread starter macrumors regular