Batman has taken over this town

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by leekohler, Aug 29, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

For the past few months they've been shooting the new Batman movie by my office. Now they've blown up an old office building. It's been fun watching the goings on, but I have to say, I'm ready for them to leave. I'm kind of over it when I leave work late and can't walk to the bus because they've closed off the financial district. Here's a picture of a burned up helicopter outside my office too. The link is a video from the exploding "Gotham General Hospital".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-blowup_webaug30,1,905044.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

Attached Files:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Keep them spoilers to yourself ;)

I was in Manchester whilst they were shooting Life on Mars one time. That was a bit mad, what with everything looking like the 70's.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That had to be fun! I don't know if I gave anything away by posting this, just commenting on how they've been all over the place. The old post office has been turned into the Gotham PD, The Board of Trade is now Wayne Enterprises. They've been some busy folks. The best part for me was leaving work at night. They'd have the food buffet for the crew set up right on the sidewalk. I think all the homeless in the city were stealing food from it.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Batman Begins was wicked. I hope this one is as good or better.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

yep, i know the feeling. they have been shooting a lot of movies in downtown providence lately and while its kinda cool, its actually a huge pain in the ass for the residents.

and batman begins was at least as good as the first batman (in a different way), maybe better. looking forward to the next one.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

So is there a place where you can actually watch them film? Or do they not allow that?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You mean Batman Begins?

You think that's bad, lee, you should be down here where they do this all the time. Not that you can get anywhere anyway because of the traffic. :p Still, the movie should be good, and they'll be gone in no time.

Until the next sequel, of course. ;)

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Life On Mars is awesome!! I have both Series DVD box sets and love it! Can't wait for ashes-to-ashes

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ouch, didn't realize that you were so close to the filming Lee, i would imagine it'd be a pain.

they've been filming a lot more here in the past year or so.

i'm pretty sure that they're going to be gone soon.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, I know Manchester isn't a a picturesque city, but the fact that it doubled as Mars is quite amazing.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I am sure it is cool to be able to watch them film a movie, but I can definitely see how it could bet old fast (traffic, noise, etc...). :)

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They're always shooting something in this town as well, believe me. It's the big budget things that can really get in the way though. Some people here in my office have watched them film at night a few times. I'd rather just wait and see the movie when it's done. ;)

13. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I saw this helicopter outside my office on W Jackson Blvd and had no idea what it was -- until now.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well- now you know! :)

15. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I remember when they were filming Underdog in my city. I didn't get to see any action, because they would only let busses and cars through between takes. It was cool seeing everything set up.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Nowadays it seems all they use is CGI and green screen effects anyway, so you hardly see much other than plate shots for locations.

Still, that's pretty cool.

17. Pani macrumors member

Pani

That is interesting. I work downtown and wasn't even aware they were filming. Actually, even though I go to the loop almost every day, I have only seen them shoot anything once! Which is good because the whole "Hollywood" influence is one of the reasons I left CA. I did have a coworker who was an extra in a movie once though. She was hyperventilating and about to faint! Since she was trying to have a baby I thought she was pregnant or hit the lottery. When I found out she was THAT excited just to be an extra in a movie it was all I could to not to roll my eyes!

18. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Depends on where you work. If you work anywhere near the financial district, you'll see it quite often. Jackson and LaSalle is quite a popular location. BTW- I just saw a bunch of Lamborghinis with camera equipment all over them by Hubbard and Franklin this morning. That's one expensive shoot!

20. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

By the first one do you mean this?

http://xoomer.alice.it/amasoni2002/shl/dc/the_batman_(1943).htm

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Hmm, I had no idea.

It seems I have a penchant for attracting super hero flicks. When I lived in Oshawa, they filmed parts of X-Men down the street. Now that I live in Toronto, they're filming Hulk in my neighbourhood. Fortunately I'm a little North of the area, so I'll have no trouble getting in and out of my place.

22. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

There's a gorgeous shot of this area in the Kevin Costner "Untouchables" film. They decked out the street with cars from the 1930s, and it really looked like a bygone era.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I've seen it. It's pretty cool. I love it when they do stuff like that.