Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
For the past few months they've been shooting the new Batman movie by my office. Now they've blown up an old office building. It's been fun watching the goings on, but I have to say, I'm ready for them to leave. I'm kind of over it when I leave work late and can't walk to the bus because they've closed off the financial district. Here's a picture of a burned up helicopter outside my office too. The link is a video from the exploding "Gotham General Hospital".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-blowup_webaug30,1,905044.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

Attachments

• helicopter.jpg
    helicopter.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 180

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Keep them spoilers to yourself ;)

I was in Manchester whilst they were shooting Life on Mars one time. That was a bit mad, what with everything looking like the 70's.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

I was in Manchester whilst they were shooting Life on Mars one time. That was a bit mad, what with everything looking like the 70's.

That had to be fun! I don't know if I gave anything away by posting this, just commenting on how they've been all over the place. The old post office has been turned into the Gotham PD, The Board of Trade is now Wayne Enterprises. They've been some busy folks. The best part for me was leaving work at night. They'd have the food buffet for the crew set up right on the sidewalk. I think all the homeless in the city were stealing food from it.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
yep, i know the feeling. they have been shooting a lot of movies in downtown providence lately and while its kinda cool, its actually a huge pain in the ass for the residents.

and batman begins was at least as good as the first batman (in a different way), maybe better. looking forward to the next one.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Batman Returns was wicked. I hope this one is as good or better.

You mean Batman Begins?

You think that's bad, lee, you should be down here where they do this all the time. Not that you can get anywhere anyway because of the traffic. :p Still, the movie should be good, and they'll be gone in no time.

Until the next sequel, of course. ;)

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006

Life On Mars is awesome!! I have both Series DVD box sets and love it! Can't wait for ashes-to-ashes

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ouch, didn't realize that you were so close to the filming Lee, i would imagine it'd be a pain.

they've been filming a lot more here in the past year or so.

i'm pretty sure that they're going to be gone soon.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I am sure it is cool to be able to watch them film a movie, but I can definitely see how it could bet old fast (traffic, noise, etc...). :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
You mean Batman Begins?

You think that's bad, lee, you should be down here where they do this all the time. Not that you can get anywhere anyway because of the traffic. :p Still, the movie should be good, and they'll be gone in no time.

Until the next sequel, of course. ;)

They're always shooting something in this town as well, believe me. It's the big budget things that can really get in the way though. Some people here in my office have watched them film at night a few times. I'd rather just wait and see the movie when it's done. ;)

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
For the past few months they've been shooting the new Batman movie by my office. Now they've blown up an old office building. It's been fun watching the goings on, but I have to say, I'm ready for them to leave. I'm kind of over it when I leave work late and can't walk to the bus because they've closed off the financial district. Here's a picture of a burned up helicopter outside my office too. The link is a video from the exploding "Gotham General Hospital".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-blowup_webaug30,1,905044.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

I saw this helicopter outside my office on W Jackson Blvd and had no idea what it was -- until now.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I remember when they were filming Underdog in my city. I didn't get to see any action, because they would only let busses and cars through between takes. It was cool seeing everything set up.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Nowadays it seems all they use is CGI and green screen effects anyway, so you hardly see much other than plate shots for locations.

Still, that's pretty cool.

Pani

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago
That is interesting. I work downtown and wasn't even aware they were filming. Actually, even though I go to the loop almost every day, I have only seen them shoot anything once! Which is good because the whole "Hollywood" influence is one of the reasons I left CA. I did have a coworker who was an extra in a movie once though. She was hyperventilating and about to faint! Since she was trying to have a baby I thought she was pregnant or hit the lottery. When I found out she was THAT excited just to be an extra in a movie it was all I could to not to roll my eyes!

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
That is interesting. I work downtown and wasn't even aware they were filming. Actually, even though I go to the loop almost every day, I have only seen them shoot anything once! Which is good because the whole "Hollywood" influence is one of the reasons I left CA. I did have a coworker who was an extra in a movie once though. She was hyperventilating and about to faint! Since she was trying to have a baby I thought she was pregnant or hit the lottery. When I found out she was THAT excited just to be an extra in a movie it was all I could to not to roll my eyes!

Depends on where you work. If you work anywhere near the financial district, you'll see it quite often. Jackson and LaSalle is quite a popular location. BTW- I just saw a bunch of Lamborghinis with camera equipment all over them by Hubbard and Franklin this morning. That's one expensive shoot!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
They shoot loads of movies here in Toronto.

The new Incredible Hulk movie will shut down one block on Yonge Street for 12 hours on three consecutive days.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=32339d79-03f5-45df-95c6-2333c212fff5

At least the bar owners will be compensated fairly which is good to see.

Hmm, I had no idea.

It seems I have a penchant for attracting super hero flicks. When I lived in Oshawa, they filmed parts of X-Men down the street. Now that I live in Toronto, they're filming Hulk in my neighbourhood. Fortunately I'm a little North of the area, so I'll have no trouble getting in and out of my place.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Depends on where you work. If you work anywhere near the financial district, you'll see it quite often. Jackson and LaSalle is quite a popular location. BTW- I just saw a bunch of Lamborghinis with camera equipment all over them by Hubbard and Franklin this morning. That's one expensive shoot!

There's a gorgeous shot of this area in the Kevin Costner "Untouchables" film. They decked out the street with cars from the 1930s, and it really looked like a bygone era.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.