Batter drains in 7 hours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spaceboy60, May 25, 2011.

1. spaceboy60 macrumors newbie

Is this usual. I'm using software version 4.3.1. I'm using it for the music for the duration.

2. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

It should last a lot longer if you're only listening to music. You most likely have a bunch of background processes running that are draining the battery faster than normal. There was a NYT article on this very subject just a couple of days ago: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/23/four-ways-to-make-your-battery-last-longer/ and a follow-up on TUAW: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/24/four-tips-for-better-iphone-battery-life/

If none of those suggestions solves your problem, you should call AppleCare or take it to a store if you have one near you.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

OP, you never said what model you had. If you're using a 3GS then it's reasonable performance (at least from my experience, can't wait to upgrade to something with better battery life)

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

That must be some thick Batter if it takes 7 hours to drain.;)

5. spaceboy60 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

In British English it's 'batsman'. 'Batter' is US/Australian usage. :)

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I think he is talking about the food related batter, such as pancake batter, not the baseball one ;-)

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

By "listening to music" do you mean using the iPod app or are you streaming music using something like Pandora?

iPhone 4 promises 6 hours of internet use. So if you're streaming music, 7 hours is normal (or even better than normal).

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Their are so many (many) variables that your original post is lacking that can help determine if this is usual or unusual.

For example:
    -Are you jailbroken, if yes, what apps have you installed.
    -Do you have "Push" email set ON (also, how many emails accounts do you have set up).
    -Do you have "Push Notifications" set to ON.
    -Do you have "Location Services" set to ON.
    -Are you streaming you media or is it saved locally.
    -Whats you screen brightness set to.
    -Do you live in an area of good or bad reception. having a weaker signal (low bars) means your phone has to work harder to maintain that connection causing you to loose battery.
    -Are you playing graphic intense games.
    -Are you on 3G or EDGE, and how often are you on WiFi.

I don't know what normal is, but the average from what I've seen here on the forum have been between 5-7hrs of various usage patterns.

10. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This is just so awesome right here.:p:D:D

11. spaceboy60 thread starter macrumors newbie

Push off, Location off. As for music i mean the ipod application. I'm not streaming anything. Anyway I upgraded to 4.3.3 and battery is now lasting 12-13 hours of continuous use.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'd go to Apple and have them look at it. My former 3GS had erratic battery behavior at one point and they replaced it for me.