Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeycasilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
This was my First macbook pro 13 mid 2012, should i ran it using battery or used it plug in.. Please advise. Its been a month already and what i normally do is run it in baterry until drain off to about 10% thenplug it in till full charge,, Now istat showing me of 96% with just 12 loadcycles. Is this normal or my battery is defective?

Any advise is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,.

joeycasilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
96% Battery health , 12 loadcycles in just 1month since it was purchased.
Do i have a defective battery in that case?

Because i read some forums that at 300 loadcycles there battery health is at 80% while mine is only at 12cycles

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks but if i used it in plug in mode most of the time, will i still get the 6-7hours battery life before it drains of?

Read the FAQ I linked to. You are not to first to ask these questions, and you will not be the last, thus this FAQ I linked to can help answer most of your battery related questions.

In short, health fluctuates, constant power adapter usage is not advised, battery time depends on CPU usage. /arse

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
This was my First macbook pro 13 mid 2012, should i ran it using battery or used it plug in.. Please advise. Its been a month already and what i normally do is run it in baterry until drain off to about 10% thenplug it in till full charge,, Now istat showing me of 96% with just 12 loadcycles. Is this normal or my battery is defective?

Any advise is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,.
96% peak after only 12 cycles seems pretty low to me. According to Apple, "The built-in battery in the new 13-, 15-, and 17-inch MacBook Pro is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. "

I usually work with the MBP on the power adapter but I do allow it to discharge nearly completely every few days.

joeycasilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks alot

Again guys, thank you for sharing me your thoughts regarding this issues,. I appreciated it most..

From time to time i may be needing your help again since im totally new to mac.
Luckily your all here. Thanks to macrumors.

----------

96% peak after only 12 cycles seems pretty low to me. According to Apple, "The built-in battery in the new 13-, 15-, and 17-inch MacBook Pro is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles. "

I usually work with the MBP on the power adapter but I do allow it to discharge nearly completely every few days.

True, but it happened one time that my battery health drops to 98% at 10 loadcycles then couple of days went back to 100% battery health.
Then just this morning it was at 96% battery health at 12 loadcycles. Hopefully it will return back to 100%.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
There is NOTHING wrong with using it plugged into the adapter at all times.

I know someone at uni who has had his plugged in for the most part of the last 3 years, and he's still on 86% health and gets 5-6 hours battery.

joeycasilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Battery Health and Load Cycles????

photods.png

As shown above, anyone can advise me whether this datas is reliable because what Apple is claiming for new macbook pro 2012 is that At 1,000 cycles the battery is suppose to still have about 80% of its original full charge capacity

im with MBP 13" i7 (mid 2012), none heavy apps user just a basic web browsing so far.

13 Load Cycles at 95% Battery health VS. 1000 LC at 80% Battery Health.

i think im way too low and my battery is fast degrading..

Any advise?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Apple will be the only ones to tell you if there is an issue as they use their own hardware test and do not rely on third party apps.

I took my MBP into Apple about a week or so ago. It was 2 weeks old, with only 2 cycles on it, and battery at 92%.
People on this forum told me it was normal and I was OK etc, but I felt something was wrong.

The Apple rep told they do not bother looking at third party apps as they are inaccurate. She ran their own disgnostics via an ethernet which reported that there was actually an issue. She asked if I wanted a replacement laptop or a new battery. I just opted for the latter as I was happy with the laptop otherwise.

New battery, now has 4 or 5 cycles I think, and is at about 98%
I havent calibrated this battery, I just use the notebook from battery power and charge when its around the 30% mark. Seems to be doing much better this time round!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.