Battery 2010 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfing bob, Jan 7, 2015.

1. golfing bob macrumors member

My Macbook Pro is almost 5 years old. Battery Health shows Normal. The most capacity I can get is 77%. When do I need to replace the battery??

Thanks for the help.

Bob

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

if you care about getting a Apple brand battery from them, you might consider having it done soon. I believe 5 years is the limit. Otherwise, you could be stuck looking for a generic.

77% is not great battery life.

3. Wirbowsky macrumors member

Have you tried calibrating the battery?

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
    3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
    4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201575

4. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I recently bought an Apple battery off of eBay. Genuine, great quality, and works like the day I first turned it on. If you want the info, PM me and I'll give you the link. It was about 40 dollars.

5. serglander macrumors newbie

im looking for a battery for my mid 2010 macbook pro

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When the battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs. Be aware, though, that your battery may swell near the end of its useful life, which can damage other components in your MBP. If it was mine, I would go ahead and have the battery replaced now.
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.
    I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. To me, it's not worth risking your $2000 Mac to save a few dollars on a replacement battery or adapter, but the choice is yours.
    Battery Service and Recycling
    Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    Contact Apple. Your battery is not a user-serviceable part.

7. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I had a 2010 mac book pro (13 inch), but it died on me and required 600+ in upgrades, but then i got the retina last year and its amazing

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's good service for a machine that old. If you're currently getting enough usage from a charge, there's no need to replace the battery. If you are noticing it isn't lasting as long as you need it to, then look for a replacement. As others have noted, you can't go wrong with an official Apple replacement. There are some decent third-party replacements that can save a bit of money, though. We went with Key Power for my son's machine, which is of the same vintage as yours. Just be sure to select a battery intended for your specific model.

This is the one I chose: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0D3LHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ...It's working great.

9. serglander macrumors newbie

how long have you had that battery in your mac

10. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Funny how you chose to quote right up until the part that stated "Genuine".

It's a genuine battery. Believe it or not, they sell genuine batteries on ebay and you can confirm they are. Anyway, to the OP, I have the battery and it IS genuine and it works great. I'm getting about 4-6 hours out of it. iStats shows 100% health and in system report, you can see that it isn't a knock off.

Seeing as though I had to find a new battery, unless they've lowered the prices recently, this place was the cheapest I found it. If you want their information, PM me.

11. illusionx macrumors 6502

I have 1075 cycle count on my 2011 and 88% health. Not bad right? :)

My 2009 have 680cycles and 70% health. In this case, it shows I need to service battery.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple doesn't sell the built-in batteries to the public without installing them, so what makes you think an eBay seller could do that? What makes you think they're "genuine"? Because they printed the word "Genuine" on the battery? That's exactly what they do with knockoff batteries. How can you confirm that a built-in battery that you bought on eBay is truly the same battery that Apple would install, other than simply believing the seller's advertising, including the "advertising" printed on the battery?

If you want to risk your Mac to save a few dollars by buying batteries from a source other than Apple, that's your call. Enough people have reported problems with such batteries that people should be warned of the potential risks.

13. BoneDaddy, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yes it is. Tens of people on here will attest to that. Just because there is no "easy removable" latch on the Mac, doesn't mean it can't be easily serviced by the user. People install a second HDD in the optical bay with ease. You're giving bad advice to someone who doesn't need to go to apple and spend more money than they have to. That's wrong. I'm guessing you're a mechanic.

You sure have some reading comprehension problems don't you? This is the second post, that you've responded to, that the answer was in. So why don't you go to your system report/hardware/power, and look at the manufacturer of the battery. You'll likely see SMP. THAT is how you confirm the battery is genuine (AS STATED).

Seller on ebay can't list something as genuine if it's not. Some can and do, and will get banned, but sellers with high ratings and a long history won't risk it. Now, Mr. Knowitall, Apple's batteries are assembled in China. Not all of them reach Macbook Pros and if you know anything about manufacturing, there is almost always a surplus. You think they just throw the batteries in the trash? They don't. People get their hands on them and make some money. Done arguing with you about things you clearly know nothing about. Do your research before you lead people astray.

OP, do your own research before you listen to ANYONE on the internet. That includes myself. The only two things that make myself more credible than this other guy, is that I have experience on purchasing the genuine battery, and this guy has poor reading comprehension.

14. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I actually liked my Dell laptops in the past (last time I bought one was in 2008 and that one is still working), so I am not one of the usual Dell bashers.

But honestly, judging by the pictures in the link above I am not overwhelmed at all. Yes, the small bezel making use of the space for the screen is exactly what I expect from the next Air. But for the rest? Looks like Dell has hired "designers" from Lenovo. This thing looks as ugly as a Thinkpad.
    No, thank you.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not according to Apple, which is why they don't sell the batteries without service. People can do all kinds of things to their devices that can void the warranty and damage parts, but that doesn't mean such things are endorsed by Apple.

MacBook: How to remove or install the battery
    Mac notebooks: All about batteries
    No, I'm giving the same advice that the manufacturer of their Mac would give them. It's good advice for anyone who wants to ensure they get the right product installed properly. Risking a $2000 computer to save less than $100 on a battery isn't the wisest approach.
    Wrong there, too.

16. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Son's Mac. Since Thanksgiving.

17. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Choosing to advise how Apple would, is your opinion, and I respect that. But choosing to refute alternative advice, by misinforming the receiver of the advice, from a lack of experience or knowledge on the matter is what IS wrong.

Let others give their own advice unless they themselves are misinforming the advisee. You're argumentative state of mind is flooding this thread with misinformation.

The facts: Apple does state it isn't user serviceable. It can easily be changed by the user. Apple doesn't sell batteries apart from the Mac. They are not the only source where one can obtain a genuine Apple battery. Knockoff batteries have a history of problems (I wouldn't recommend them either). Genuine Apple batteries cost around the same price, or less, than some knockoffs.

Those are the facts. Let the guy chose for himself. I respect what your advice is. If you don't agree with mine fine. Just don't lie and misinform. Intentionally, or otherwise.