Battery @ 53% health after 98 cycles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fiskah, Nov 6, 2008.

1. fiskah macrumors newbie

My MBP battery is at 53% health after 98 cycles. I've tried calibrating it but it does not help.

At around 40% charge the charge drops suddenly to around 10% and then after around 10 minutes it shuts down.

Anyone got this problem? Is it really true that its only 53% or is it a bug in the firmware? The 53% is just the current health - it goes up and down between 40% and 70%.

Thanks in advance.

2. kenned macrumors member

Seems that you have a bad battery, contact apple and they will give you a replacement right away. Sometimes even out of warranty

3. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

You have a bad battery. Call AppleCare they will give a replacement.
    All the best

4. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

Sounds like a dodgy battery, return it :\

-Rich-

5. kevo0822 macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem... Called AppleCare on Sunday, they sent out a new one on Monday, swapped it out and sent the faulty one back on Tuesday.

6. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Actually, what does a normal battery health drop look like? Like how many cycles will drop your health to 50%?

And is it better to have two smaller cycles or one larger charge cycle? (ie: a drop to 50%, charge back to 100% done twice or one drop to 0%?)

7. kolax macrumors G3

Faulty battery.

I've had mine for a year and a few months and huge amount of cycles, still can squeeze 2 hours out of it.

[​IMG]

8. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

A charge cycle is 100%, so one full charge, or three 33% charges. It is better with modern batteries to just use them a little a lot, then once a month condition the battery by running it right down until the laptop turns itself off, letting it sleep overnight, then charging fully again. This conditions the chip in the battery that decides how much charge it has in it.

9. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

Mine (original blackbook) suddenly dropped to like 65% at around 150 cycles, I had a new battery from apple in 2 days, out of warranty. Very pleased.

10. fiskah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies.
    I'll call Apple first thing in the morning to try to get a new battery :)

I'll give you an update inhere ;)

11. fiskah thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple refuses to give me another battery.
    They agreed that the battery is broken but its out of warranty so they won't give me a new one because the serial number is not in their "replacement lists".

Thank you Apple. Nice way to treat a loyal customer. :)

12. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If they replaced your battery, it would kind of defeat the purpose of a warranty. Don't you think?

You may think it's not fair, but I don't think it's fair that I spent 200+ bucks on a warranty and you expect the same treatment that I would receive for a part that's defective.

13. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. When i was getting mine replaced they had issued a statement that some batteries were faulty and I guess mine was in that category because it was replaced out of warranty.

14. alms macrumors member

They replaced mine

Inspired by this thread, I called Apple about the battery in my MacBook Pro, purchased in March 2007. I'm still under AppleCare, but out of warranty.

A few months ago the battery life went down the tubes. I get maybe 35 or 40 minutes.

I told the Apple rep my battery cycle count was 278 and the full charge capacity was 1734 mAh. It took about an hour on the phone, going back and forth on hold. But in the end, they're shipping me a replacement at no cost.

Thanks, Macrumors. I wouldn't have thought to call without you.